Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does apple tv lag when i mirror from imac to HDTV?

Apple TV is connected via Ethernet and have very fast internet speed. I will stream Netflix or slingtv and is fine on my iMac. However when I mirror it to my HDTV through Apple TV it gets very laggy. Sometimes unwatchable. Why?

Posted on May 15, 2017 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2017 2:59 AM

Hi GregUPDE. There's a significant difference between mirroring and basic AirPlay. Please read the following description.

Video AirPlay works in two modes. Basic AirPlay just sends the video URL to Apple TV, which then streams it directly. This usually works best since there's no double transmission. You're using basic AirPlay when the video player on your device goes black and says "This video is playing on Apple TV". On a computer, you enable this using the AirPlay icon that appears in the controls of a screen video player object, inside the browser or other app. On iPad or iPhone, use the AirPlay controls on the right hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center (on iPhone, tap the arrow with circles icon at the bottom), or the AirPlay icon in the video player. An app can prevent basic AirPlay, and a website may have requirements that only work in the browser, so basic AirPlay may not always work.

The other mode is Mirroring, which generates an H.264 video stream from the device frame buffer and transmits it over WiFi to Apple TV. This video compression inherently limits resolution, and may have trouble with fast motion. On iPad or iPhone, mirroring is on the left hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center. On a Mac computer, you access this mode from the AirPlay icon in the main menu bar. It lets you mirror the main display, or create a new display, extending the desktop. But remember that the data sent to the Apple TV is always being converted to a live video stream. Unlike a normal wired monitor connection, actual display frame buffer pixels are not transmitted. When you put the iPad or iPhone video player into full screen mode, mirroring may automatically switch to basic AirPlay. If the server doesn't support basic AirPlay, this may prevent mirroring full screen video.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2017 2:59 AM in response to GregUPDE

Hi GregUPDE. There's a significant difference between mirroring and basic AirPlay. Please read the following description.

Video AirPlay works in two modes. Basic AirPlay just sends the video URL to Apple TV, which then streams it directly. This usually works best since there's no double transmission. You're using basic AirPlay when the video player on your device goes black and says "This video is playing on Apple TV". On a computer, you enable this using the AirPlay icon that appears in the controls of a screen video player object, inside the browser or other app. On iPad or iPhone, use the AirPlay controls on the right hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center (on iPhone, tap the arrow with circles icon at the bottom), or the AirPlay icon in the video player. An app can prevent basic AirPlay, and a website may have requirements that only work in the browser, so basic AirPlay may not always work.

The other mode is Mirroring, which generates an H.264 video stream from the device frame buffer and transmits it over WiFi to Apple TV. This video compression inherently limits resolution, and may have trouble with fast motion. On iPad or iPhone, mirroring is on the left hand pane of the iOS 10 Control Center. On a Mac computer, you access this mode from the AirPlay icon in the main menu bar. It lets you mirror the main display, or create a new display, extending the desktop. But remember that the data sent to the Apple TV is always being converted to a live video stream. Unlike a normal wired monitor connection, actual display frame buffer pixels are not transmitted. When you put the iPad or iPhone video player into full screen mode, mirroring may automatically switch to basic AirPlay. If the server doesn't support basic AirPlay, this may prevent mirroring full screen video.

why does apple tv lag when i mirror from imac to HDTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.