Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.12.5 Display Sleep Bug Still

Well, I had this problem when I updated to 10.12.4 on 03/29 and I just did the 10.12.5 update and the problem is still there. A little recap of the original:

"when I come out of power saver (display off but computer running) the iMac screen stays dark. Well, almost. The screen comes on for a split second and then stays off. I have 2 4K monitors hooked up and they both come on like normal. "

I had been contacted by an AppeCare customer rep (Todd Seydel) who had me send in some files to the engineers at Apple to help them duplicate the problem. I had high hopes but to no avail. The problem still exists, and it in fact worse now than before. Instead of just the iMac monitor staying off and the 2 external monitors coming on only 1 monitor comes out of power save and the others stay off. Just thought I'd get this posted right away to let Apple know it's still not fixed. Hopefully this will be remedied with 10.13?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 32GB RAM, Dual external 4K monitors

Posted on May 15, 2017 10:07 PM

6 replies

May 28, 2017 10:20 AM in response to hmbay

> Have all of us upgraded memory with third party modules?

Here, it reproduces with two different 2014 Retina iMac 27 units that were BTO with 32GB via Apple's online store.

BTW, for anyone running across this thread without the context of the original thread:

Re: 10.12.4 display sleep bug

This is basically the same thread except the author thought increasing the macOS version number was helpful to reflect that the issue that was introduced in 10.12.4 wasn't updated in 10.12.5.

May 28, 2017 8:29 AM in response to rfp0923

I asked these questions in the 10.12.4 thread on this problem but for people experiencing this problem....

Are we all running iMac 5K Retina machines? I've seen posts from folks with Mac Minis and MacBooks

Have all of us upgraded memory with third party modules? I've seen posts from folks who just got their machines fresh out of the box.

Have all of us upgraded to more than 16GB of memory? If I recall, there are folks with just 16GB.

Just curious to see if there is any correlation with hardware, or whether this is just a software bug in Sierra - which if you recall didn't happen before the release of 10.12.4.

At this point, it has now been at least 2 months since Apple was made aware of this problem and we still have no solution after one OS update. People like me have businesses to run using our high-end iMac's that we so foolishly bought to upgrade from iMacs that might have been slow, but were perfectly fine.

I'm thinking that the situations where memory was pulled from machines was just like resetting SMC and NVRAM which is known to temporarily fix the problem. I'm wondering whether people who "solved the problem" by pulling memory, have had experienced a permanent solution or whether the problem came back a few days later which is what we've all experience after resetting SMC and NVRAM.

So I'm going to go back to the AppleCare folks and I'm also going to be vocal about this at WWDC.

May 31, 2017 10:47 AM in response to hmbay

Just to be thorough, my setup is as follows: Late 2014 iMac Retina 5K 27", 4GHz I7, 32GB Ram (third party - Crucial), AMD R9 4GB Video with 2 external 28" monitors (Phillips 288P6 and Samsung U28E590).

As previously stated I never had a problem with the system coming out of sleep mode prior to 10.12.4. Also, I have the problem on a Mac Mini which shares the Samsung monitor (different input obviously). It will briefly power up the display when coming out of display sleep and then black. On my mini I have to force power off since it is only connected to the one monitor. On my iMac I can reboot if any of the monitors come on.

When I first installed the 10.12.5 update the problem didn't show up right away. I was able to have the displays power back on the first few times. But after leaving it alone for a day the problem returned.

Jun 1, 2017 9:04 AM in response to rfp0923

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 (all stock)

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

Secondary display - Samsung U28E590D 4K 27.5in (doesn't seem to have any issues and energy saver mode is off)

Secondary display - LG 27UD68 Ultra HD Display 4K 27in (does not come on after sleep sometimes - have tried with and without energy saver mode on)

Primary iMac display lowers resolution when LG display doesn't come on. Re-seating the display port on the LG solves the issue.

Sometimes the Primary display does not turn back on after sleep and the two secondary displays turn on at full resolution. Nothing I have tried will reset the primary display and turn it back on other than rebooting the iMac.

Issues started happening immediately after upgrading to Mac OS 10.12.4 and continue with higher frequency in 10.12.5. Never had a single issue before upgrading to 10.12.4.

This is a very frustrating bug to be dealing with on such an expensive piece of hardware.

Jun 9, 2017 8:59 AM in response to rfp0923

With respect to "where" to report this bug, if you have an Apple developer account, you can log into the Apple Bug Reporter and report the bug. I met with an engineer at WWDC and he recommended doing a sysdiagnose when it is in the dark iMac monitor state and attaching that to the bug report. He took a quick look at the bug report database and couldn't find this problem so it is possible that no one has entered it (please reply if you have and have a bug report case number because I could bring that to an Engineer at WWDC today). He said that the AppleCare / Warranty channel is buffered too much from Engineering and that the best route was direct to the Bug Reporter.

The command-line utility

sysdiagnose
can be triggered by pressing Cmd+Opt+Ctrl+Shift+Period, and it may take a few minutes to complete. When ready, the output will automatically be revealed in a Finder window (or it can be manually retrieved from /var/tmp).

10.12.5 Display Sleep Bug Still

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.