Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to send mail from a specific account

I have 3 email accounts set-up in Apple mail, I can select the account before sending and when I look at the To address it is as I have selected from my accounts. The problem is when I click send, the sending email address is changed to the first email address in the account list and this has been verified by the receiver.

So the question is, how do I change the email address such that the sender is actually the selected address?

iOS 10, Siri election

Posted on May 16, 2017 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2017 9:57 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, SimonPlatten.
If I understand your post correctly, you have multiple accounts in the Mail app and you want to select which address outgoing messages are sent from.

Set the From or Reply To address

If you set up email aliases or use several email accounts, you can choose which address to use when you send your messages. You can also specify an address where you want to receive replies to a message.

• Choose an address for the current message: Move the pointer over the From field in your message, click the pop-up menu that appears, then choose an email address.

• Use the same address for all messages: Choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose your email account or have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

• Set a Reply To address for the current message: Click the Header Fields button User uploaded file in the toolbar of the message window, choose Reply-To Address Field, then enter the address where you want to receive replies to your message.

For more information, see the full article here:
Mail for Mac: Address messages in Mail
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2017 9:57 AM in response to SimonPlatten

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, SimonPlatten.
If I understand your post correctly, you have multiple accounts in the Mail app and you want to select which address outgoing messages are sent from.

Set the From or Reply To address

If you set up email aliases or use several email accounts, you can choose which address to use when you send your messages. You can also specify an address where you want to receive replies to a message.

• Choose an address for the current message: Move the pointer over the From field in your message, click the pop-up menu that appears, then choose an email address.

• Use the same address for all messages: Choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose your email account or have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

• Set a Reply To address for the current message: Click the Header Fields button User uploaded file in the toolbar of the message window, choose Reply-To Address Field, then enter the address where you want to receive replies to your message.

For more information, see the full article here:
Mail for Mac: Address messages in Mail
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jun 29, 2017 6:52 PM in response to Teddy_B

Thank you for the information, and the link.
This is how I've been doing it for years under Yosemite, but I just moved to a Sierra machine and it does not work anymore.

I can enter multiple aliases as you suggest, but only the real address is displayed in the FROM field when I'm writing a new email.

The entire Mail database, plist, and keychain were brought over from Yosemite, if that is relevant.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edward Lipsett

I want to send mail from a specific account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.