Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XML-file gone and not being regenerated

Hi there!

I've been trying to integrate Google Music and iTunes in order to be able to access my music library from my Android cellphone. Google music needs the XML-file in order to import playlists. For some reason, however, my XML-file has disappeared despite iTunes being set to 'Share iTunes Library XML-file with other applications'. I have tried switching the sharing on and off multiple times, restarting iTunes, rebooting the computer but to no avail.

Have you guys got any suggestions on what to do next? Any other way to force iTunes to generate a new XML-file?

I have considered reinstalling and rebuilding the library but the idea of losing my playlists and all of my 'hearted' tracks is horrifying. Is it possible to rebuild playlists and 'hearted' tracks from the iTunes Library.itl-file alone?

Thank you so much.

Jeppe

null-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), iTunes 12.6.1.25

Posted on May 17, 2017 3:34 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2017 1:40 PM in response to kalnaes

Not offhand. I have iTunes 12.6.1.25 installed on my Mac mini and it is still creating and updating the XML. 😕

The XML data is built from the contents of the ITL, not the other way around, so you shouldn't have lost any playlists or ratings. You could try using File > Library > Export Library to make an XML file you can use with your Google app.

You could also try reinstalling iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ - it won't damage the current library, but you do have that backed up don't you?

tt2

XML-file gone and not being regenerated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.