Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto recently deleted folder missing after Sierra upgrade

I recently upgraded to Sierra, Version 10.12.4, running on a MacBook Pro. I no longer see a "Recently Deleted" folder in iPhoto (I am not using iCloud), and cannot see where my deleted photos are going once I delete them. In my prior OS, there was an "empty" button to permanently remove photos once I deleted them. There is no folder, or nothing showing in any of the dropdown menu items. Longtime Mac User trying to figure out where my deleted photos are going. Not a fan of the Sierra upgrade, so far...

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), MacOS Sierra v10.12.4

Posted on May 17, 2017 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2017 10:56 PM

So as you are using the term Recently Deleted we can assume you mean you are using Photos rather than iPhoto.

In Photos when you delete an item you should see Recently Deleted appear in the side bar in the Albums column.

Do you have anything showing under Albums in the sidebar, if not you can move your cursor over to the right of Albums and you should see an option to Show, click that and you should now see your albums and the Recently Deleted item if you have deleted any images. If there are images to be deleted click on Recently Deleted and another window open where you can then delete them immediately.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2017 10:56 PM in response to jemgray

So as you are using the term Recently Deleted we can assume you mean you are using Photos rather than iPhoto.

In Photos when you delete an item you should see Recently Deleted appear in the side bar in the Albums column.

Do you have anything showing under Albums in the sidebar, if not you can move your cursor over to the right of Albums and you should see an option to Show, click that and you should now see your albums and the Recently Deleted item if you have deleted any images. If there are images to be deleted click on Recently Deleted and another window open where you can then delete them immediately.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2017 12:11 AM in response to Chrumbo

Ok no need to start getting stroppy, we're going through the motions to try and establish what the problem is.

Have you restarted the Mac to see if the behaviour is repeated on a restart.

Also macOS Sierra is now at 10.12.6 so you might want to update the OS, I would recommend downloading and then installing this, Download macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update the combo replaces system files that may have got corrupted so may help you in this situation. You never know.

May 17, 2017 3:25 PM in response to Rysz

Hello Rysz.

The sidebar is always present, there is no trash. My issue is the same (and the reason I posted to the forum), I delete an image, and cannot see where it has gone. There isn't a "trash", there is no longer an "empty" button, no "recently deleted" (I searched the iPhoto help and they kept referring to deleted images as 'recently deleted', that is why I phrased my question the way I did). There is no obvious location anywhere for my images. Once I hit "delete" on an image, it is gone. This perplexes me, as in the past, there was always a repository for deleted images, that I could then review and "empty". Not anymore. This only has surfaced since I updated to Sierra.

Aug 11, 2017 11:51 PM in response to Chrumbo

Recently Deleted only appears if you have deleted something, if you don't delete the files manually it will hold items that have been deleted for 30 days and then will automatically delete them, it then disappears from the sidebar until the next time you delete something. Why don't you try duplicating an image then deleting it, see if Recently Deleted shows up, click on it if it does and then delete the item.

iPhoto recently deleted folder missing after Sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.