Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone locked due to illegal activity

Not sure what has happened. This morning when I went to launch Safari on my iPhone, it went to a URL "security-breach.net, and kept flashing back and forth with my printer program. I can not enter any data, or do anything to Safari to make it work. The only thing I can do is shut it down. I'm assuming it is some kind of virus.

The screen lists a Support number (****)

The error message says:

"Attention!

Your device has been locked due to detected illegal activity! Immediately call Apple Support to unlock it.

We're here to help."

What is this, because I don't believe it is an actual Apple alert. Assuming it isn't, how do I deal with it.

Thank you.

[Edited by Host]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.1, 64 gig

Posted on May 18, 2017 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 1:59 PM

Ok but is this an actual virus?

36 replies

Jan 7, 2018 12:18 PM in response to noelmac

That same message about illegal activity showed up on my sister’s phone and it told her to call a number and she did. Some Indian guy in a very loud call center answered the phone and told her, her phone was being hacked and that it would cost $100 to fix it. When my sister said that she couldn’t pay that, the guy said, “Have a nice day,” and hung up. After that she just went to her settings, cleared all her safari data, and the problem was fixed. I hate scams so much.

Jun 1, 2017 1:25 PM in response to noelmac

A less disruptive solutions - you don't have to delete your whole history - is to quit safari and using force touch on the icon open a new tab. Then you can access your history and swipe delete the malicious urls. Then you can make carefully sure the when you tap on show tabs the bad ones are not there any more. If for some reason they are still there, just very carefully closed them tapping on the X button of each tab. Do not select any of them just directly tap on their X button and close them.

Oct 20, 2017 3:35 PM in response to noelmac

You have to clear the cache. If you're quick, you can close out of safari and when you come back in, quickly hit the minimize button and X out. You can also hit the privacy button on the bottom left if you just need to get on safari right away. The issue usually develops on either or. Ultimately, you want to go into settings --->safari--->clear the history and website data. To prevent further issues, stop looking at **** on your phone. Hope this helps. Sorry to call you out on the **** but clearly there's a reason I know that 😊

Mar 31, 2018 11:50 AM in response to noelmac

The website is a scam to try to get you to call them and (ultimately) give them your credit card.

They trick you into thinking something is wrong with your phone by exploiting bugs in the JavaScript support in the safari browser.

Quit safari, reset your web history, or... just turn off javascript and you can go in and kill the page.

Apple really should fix this, as it's a pretty embarrassing thing that scammers can completely hijack control of the web browser so trivially.

Apr 25, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Pat1219

No. It is a trick using a website to deliberately confuse and lockup the browser on your phone. This is a scam designed to scare you into calling the number. Then they will ask, intimidate and finally threaten you to give them money or face some kind of dire penalty/outcome.

Apple should really fix Safari to prevent this sort of nonsense.

Jun 29, 2018 5:18 PM in response to stedman1

Same happened to me, i tried to exit out but couldn’t, it told me to call or to cancel but that was the only option, i couldn’t do anything on safari. What i did was i refreshed safari but closing it out then i opened it back up and pressed those 2 overlapping squares on the bottom right to see the other tabs i had opened, but the. it would say i would have to call again. So i closed safari again, and quickly went to another tab, then now i can use safari and i closed the apple support tab. But before i did this, i pressed “call” to try and see it i can close the tab but when i called, nothing happened, i did it again and nothing happened. I just want to know if my information will be exposed or if this is a virus that will affect my phone or information. Am i safe from this? Or should i be concerned?

iPhone locked due to illegal activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.