Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCload for photos is a big mistake for Linux users.

I am have problems downloading my (iPhone/iPad) images from iCloud to my iPhone.

I no longer want to store my images on iCloud.

Thus I wish to turn off that feature in settings > photos & camera > iCloud Photo Library.

This should trigger a download of all my full resolution photos onto my iPhone.

Instead I get a message "this iphone was not able to download 14,000 full-resolution photos" etc.

This amount of photos is said to take less than 41GB and I have over 90GB available.

Why won't it download? Why can I not have my own photos?

My ultimate goal is to download them to my Linux computer from the iPhone once they are no longer on iCloud.

NOTE: if your photos are on iCloud you can not download them to your Linux computer.

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation), iOS 8.1, MacBook pro and iPad air

Posted on May 18, 2017 10:52 AM

2 replies

May 18, 2017 1:36 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thank you for taking the time to write.

One can use the Firefox browser and iCloud.com but only select one photo at a time which is brutal.

WIthout a PC or Mac all that seems to be offered by Apple is to just keep buying more iCloud space but that is not sustainable. Did I miss something?

I have gotten the impression Apple does not support Linux which is not what I am hoping to to change - that is really up to them although it would be nice. I just want to download the photos to my iPhone within the Apple environment.

From there the Linux part is easy.

Using iCload for photos is a big mistake for Linux users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.