Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make the Inateck USB 3 KT4005 work with Mac Pro 5.1

Hi,

I just received my Inateck USB 3.0 card and it doesn't Work.

It is visible in my System Report in the PCIe section and the USB section and it is seeing the connected USB devices but they are not showing up in the Finder of Disk Utillity.

When checking online I see that the KT4004 was for Mac, not the 4005 so that's my bad but I was wondering if this could still be used somehow?

Regards Patrick

null-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on May 19, 2017 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2017 5:22 AM

It may work in Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac but if it does not already work in a Mac there is nothing anyone is going to be able to do to change this.

There are two possible causes that I can think of, either the KT4005 has different firmware such that it is not recognised by the Mac. Mac PCIe cards often have EFI firmware on them specifically to provide support for the Mac without the need for installing drivers, the KT4004 Mac edition card does not have any Mac drivers suggesting this maybe the case. The other possibility is that the KT4004 Mac edition card maybe using a different USB chipset - one that OS X supports, whereas the KT4005 might be using a chipset that OS X does not support.

As you will have seen from the pictures of the KT4004 and KT4005 they do have different circuit boards and components.

If you can return the KT4005 for a refund or try selling it on eBay. Otherwise since the card is relatively cheap, just write it off as a learning experience and buy the correct one.

Note: Inteck officially state the KT4004 is not compatible with Yosemite or later but many people report it works for them. I personally chose to pay more and get a SonnetTech card which officially states it supports all versions of OS X including Sierra.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2017 5:22 AM in response to patrick1610

It may work in Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac but if it does not already work in a Mac there is nothing anyone is going to be able to do to change this.

There are two possible causes that I can think of, either the KT4005 has different firmware such that it is not recognised by the Mac. Mac PCIe cards often have EFI firmware on them specifically to provide support for the Mac without the need for installing drivers, the KT4004 Mac edition card does not have any Mac drivers suggesting this maybe the case. The other possibility is that the KT4004 Mac edition card maybe using a different USB chipset - one that OS X supports, whereas the KT4005 might be using a chipset that OS X does not support.

As you will have seen from the pictures of the KT4004 and KT4005 they do have different circuit boards and components.

If you can return the KT4005 for a refund or try selling it on eBay. Otherwise since the card is relatively cheap, just write it off as a learning experience and buy the correct one.

Note: Inteck officially state the KT4004 is not compatible with Yosemite or later but many people report it works for them. I personally chose to pay more and get a SonnetTech card which officially states it supports all versions of OS X including Sierra.

Make the Inateck USB 3 KT4005 work with Mac Pro 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.