Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIFF icons won't display

The image icons for hundreds of my TIFF files only show the generic TIFF icon, and not the file image. I am running Sierra 10.12.5 I can't find any thread that relates to this problem with this newest version of the OS. Old advice is irrelevant, as there is not com.apple.finder.plist file, or any com.apple.desktop.plist file, and etc. I just this minute ran the update on the OS and no joy there. Any thoughts? Most vexing having to open large files just to get a hint of what they are.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on May 19, 2017 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2017 12:05 PM

Ok I am going to take you back in time because there is a finder preference file.

The path to this file is Macintosh HD/Users/Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

User uploaded file

Note this file is in your Home Library which is hidden by default, maybe why you couldn't locate it before.

To see it go to Finder click Go and then press and hold the option/alt key (for some in Sierra it is the shift key)

and you should see Library pop up, click to access it and navigate to Preferences and then the com.apple.finder.plist

drag it to the Trash don't empty yet. Restart Mac the file is regenerated, reset your Finder preferences etc.

See if that makes a difference.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2017 12:05 PM in response to awrangle

Ok I am going to take you back in time because there is a finder preference file.

The path to this file is Macintosh HD/Users/Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

User uploaded file

Note this file is in your Home Library which is hidden by default, maybe why you couldn't locate it before.

To see it go to Finder click Go and then press and hold the option/alt key (for some in Sierra it is the shift key)

and you should see Library pop up, click to access it and navigate to Preferences and then the com.apple.finder.plist

drag it to the Trash don't empty yet. Restart Mac the file is regenerated, reset your Finder preferences etc.

See if that makes a difference.

TIFF icons won't display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.