Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pros and cons of FileVault?

I was wondering if I should set-up FileVault on my initial MacBook Pro setup. I've heard that it's better to do this on the first setup if you're thinking about using it.

However, is there a downside to using FileVault in terms of computer performance, battery runtime, etc? I feel like I keep my data on portable external drives anyways and I don't really have sensitive information for work and school. Also if I ever really had the need to store encrypted data on the computer I've heard you can just create an encrypted .dmg.

So I guess the question is; is it worth it if you don't really keep sensitive information on your computer? Is there some other reason I'm missing? Thank you.

Posted on May 19, 2017 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2017 12:00 PM

I have a Macbook Pro Retina early-2015 and that's the only Mac I have Filevault set ON because it's a mobile Mac and could be lost or stolen easier than my Mac Mini desktop. It's more secure than without.

Performance, battery, etc. there may be a slight performance hit, but to be honest I have never felt one. Apps open/close fast, file transfers back and forth to my server are fast, internet is fast, etc.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2017 12:00 PM in response to ALeonardoA

I have a Macbook Pro Retina early-2015 and that's the only Mac I have Filevault set ON because it's a mobile Mac and could be lost or stolen easier than my Mac Mini desktop. It's more secure than without.

Performance, battery, etc. there may be a slight performance hit, but to be honest I have never felt one. Apps open/close fast, file transfers back and forth to my server are fast, internet is fast, etc.

May 19, 2017 12:14 PM in response to ALeonardoA

I forgot to answer your question of "So I guess the question is; is it worth it if you don't really keep sensitive information on your computer?"

My opinion is, yes it's worth it. Remember, macOS has Keychain with passwords of web sites visited and/or credit card information. Safari as well assuming these are enabled in Safari/Preferences/Autofill. One may have some sensitive emails organized with purchases, 3rd party app serial numbers/keys. Also, some 3rd party apps have the serial number/key in their About. Contacts could have sensitive information along with phone numbers.

May 19, 2017 12:20 PM in response to ALeonardoA

I was wondering if I should set-up FileVault on my initial MacBook Pro setup. I've heard that it's better to do this on the first setup if you're thinking about using it.

Yes it is.

However, is there a downside to using FileVault in terms of computer performance, battery runtime, etc?

No. None. Zero.

So I guess the question is; is it worth it if you don't really keep sensitive information on your computer?

Since there is no disadvantage to using FV, "worth it" is not a factor. It is likely to become the default in future macOS versions though, so you might as well get used to it now.

Pros and cons of FileVault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.