Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MBP 15 inch Red screen

Hey Guys,

I got the new MBP 15 inch with the radeon pro 460. For some time now i´ve had some issues with the computer. First of all, at least once a day my desktop becomes red. I don´t know why, but the red screen seems to disappear when i left-click/left-click and drag the cursor over the red area, see the attached photos.

Secondly my browser (google chrome) seems to get stuck on the upper half of the screen. I have to either close chrome down or open a new window to get it back to fullscreen.

I also have to restart my computer twice a day due to everything just lagging. I´ve tried to reinstall the OS, without any luck. I´ve also reset the SMC without it helping any of my issues. And yeah, one more thing - some times when i restart the computer the time and date is all off, and takes a couple of minutes for it to get the time and date right...

Any suggestions? I´ve had my mid 2013 MBA for 3 years without having any issues, and it just seems like this computer is giving me a hard time...

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on May 19, 2017 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 12:17 AM

I have a 15 MBP 2016 with the radeon pro 455 2 GB. I frequently have the computer hooked up to a second monitor and when i wake it up around 1 in 10 times it gives me a "red screen of death". It seems to happen more often when I have services that i use for development running in the background.

Unlike the screenshots here the mac's screen is completely red. Before I upgraded to High Sierra I idd not get this problem. The laptop is unresponsive when its like this so i have to shut it down.

This is really terrible, not what I would expect from Mac in 2016 that cost more than 3k at all. Reminds me of windows laptops from back in the day!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2017 12:17 AM in response to Pacta sunt servanda

I have a 15 MBP 2016 with the radeon pro 455 2 GB. I frequently have the computer hooked up to a second monitor and when i wake it up around 1 in 10 times it gives me a "red screen of death". It seems to happen more often when I have services that i use for development running in the background.

Unlike the screenshots here the mac's screen is completely red. Before I upgraded to High Sierra I idd not get this problem. The laptop is unresponsive when its like this so i have to shut it down.

This is really terrible, not what I would expect from Mac in 2016 that cost more than 3k at all. Reminds me of windows laptops from back in the day!

Aug 14, 2017 11:35 AM in response to Tuttle

Seeing the same red windows on new MBP 15" w Radeon 560, and also, as you have found, red windows don't appear in screenshots.

Red windows happen after sleep or screensaver, and they occur in the bottom-most window when multiple documents are open, across text based applications and Finders (not browser windows, e.g.) and across multiple desktops simultaneously.

Clicking in these windows returns them to normal.

I'm sure I will not be visiting a Genius Bar for this issue at this point.

Oct 1, 2017 7:36 PM in response to invertedcube

invertedcube wrote:

Have you had a fix for this? I am getting the same issue. Normally when I come back to Mac OS from Parallels.

No, I'm still seeing it occasionally, and I saw a window yesterday with a more garbled look, similar to what I've seen full screen with bad graphics cards.

Because this isn't an issue full screen, is limited to random windows at random times, and it isn't able to be captured in a screenshot, I doubt it's a hardware problem, but I'm curious to see if it stops or continues when I have time to upgrade to High Sierra. I'll let you know..

New MBP 15 inch Red screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.