Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my Adobe creative suite 4 still work in OS Sierra?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 21, 2017 10:43 AM

14 replies

Aug 28, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Baggix

It is the correct link. In case there's something wrong with that one, here it is again.

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

The page should appear like this:

User uploaded file

If you still can't get to it, just go to Google and put in "java 6 for Apple" as the search phrase (without the quote marks). The first or second link named Download Java for OS X 2015-001 - Apple Support will go to the same place.

Aug 14, 2017 10:27 AM in response to Kurt Lang

this is helpbirds and I have Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection and am trying to get it to work on Sierra. Photoshop CS4 is asking me to install 'the legacy Java SE 6 runtime'. Is there a downside to doing this and do you know if it will work? I would be happy if I could have access to Acrobat Pro 9, Photoshop CS4 and InDesign, I could live without the other programs. Help and thanks.

Aug 14, 2017 1:26 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I downloaded this legacy version yesterday so that my CS5 Master Collection version of Illustrator would work - and it does. However I have been worrying that my Mac will use this old version of Java which may not be as secure as later versions.

Are you saying the later OS (10.12.6 in my case) will only use this old version as required? I was wondering if I should keep reverting and then updating as needed according to what software I was using.

Thank you so much for any help. I have been searching for hours to see if I should update Java to the latest version again, and worrying!

Aug 14, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Bassbarbie

Are you saying the later OS (10.12.6 in my case) will only use this old version as required?

Yes. Only older apps that call for it (like your Adobe suites) will use Java 6. The OS will not use it for anything of its own.

If you have need of Java in a browser, you have to install Oracle's Java 8. Both 6 and 8 can be on your system at the same time. If you don't go anywhere on the web that needs Java, then you don't need Java 8 installed.

Aug 15, 2017 7:15 AM in response to Bassbarbie

To verify Java 6 has been installed (besides the fact your apps now launch), is to open Terminal and type the following:

java -version

Press Enter. It should return something like java 1.6.4 installed.

No one knows why Oracle names Java versions this way. The 1 proceeds all versions. The second and third point numbers are the actual version. 6.4 for this example. I say Oracle even for Apple's version 6 because Apple used to get the final Java code from Oracle and rewrite it to work in the Mac OS. After version 6, Apple basically told Oracle to write their own software. If you want Java to run on a Mac, write the Mac version yourself. That, and Apple was starting their push to get Java and Flash sent to the dustbin of history. Both of which, being such huge security laden pieces of software, deserve to be sent.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.