Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Windows 10 store playlist files - read post for more

Hello,

To make a long story short I had to unexpectedly reinstall Windows 10 but I was (fortunately) able to back up all my data from the previous corrupted install.

What I am looking to do is find the actual files Itunes uses to keep the podcast playlists and music playlists and (hopefully) just overwrite them in my current Windows 10 Itunes so they appear in the new installation..

How can I do that? Where are those files stored in Windows 10 by default?

Unfortunately since this was unexpected and sudden I didn't have a chance to export them to .xml or I certainly would have!

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Windows 10

Posted on May 21, 2017 12:50 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2017 3:02 PM in response to frankmaa

frankmaa wrote:

So if I copied that file from my old Windows installation and over write the current one (which contains nothing, essentially) everything should be as it was,correct?

Yes, the standard location for iTunes library folder is C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes. You should delete/rename the current folder and replace it with the one from the backup. Your custom folder needs to have the same path in the new installation as it had in the old one. See Make a split library portable for more on the anatomy of an iTunes library. I'd recommend moving it into the standard shape for ease of use when backing up and for next time it needs to be moved/recovered.

tt2

May 21, 2017 2:50 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi. In Windows 10 where is that file by default? Is it somewhere in the user folders?

I don't store my Itunes media in the default area. I store the media (music & podcasts) in a custom folder on my hard drive. This works for me.

I know for a fact that Itunes library.itl file is not in that main folder as only media is.

However it is in the default location that Itunes would put it running Windows 10. Can you kindly tell me where that location would be? Thank you.

So if I copied that file from my old Windows installation and over write the current one (which contains nothing, essentially) everything should be as it was,correct?

That's what I am looking for. Thank you to you and anyone and everyone else.

Where does Windows 10 store playlist files - read post for more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.