Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Move Photos & Retain Metadata?

I have digital photographs in several locations; an old Windows phone, a networked Windows PC, and in my iCloud Library where my iPhone 7 stores them. I would like to move them into one of several iCloud folders that I will create to hold specific subject matter; grandchildren (with a subfolder for each one), Hunting (with a subfolder for each trip), Kayaking (with a subfolder for...), you get the idea.

I can't cut and paste them to new locations but I can copy them to new locations by dragging them into Finder and then go back and delete the photographs. But when I do that I lose the metadata that I would like to retain.

My goal is to have the well-organized photographs available from any device that can access my iCloud storage, most often that would be my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

Posted on May 21, 2017 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2017 3:47 PM

My goal is to have the well-organized photographs available from any device that can access my iCloud storage, most often that would be my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

if you copy and paste, or drag and drop from your Photos Library on the Mac, you not only lose the metadata, you will also reduce the quality of the photos.

Use the Photos.app on the Mac to organize your photos. You can create albums in Photos, and related albums can be grouped by folders. The albums and folders will sync with iCloud Photo Library to your iPhone. The folders can be nested. You could create a folder "Kayaking" with subfolders for each year or location, and then an album with the photos from each kayaking event.

If you need folders on the disk as well, to be used from devices that cannot access iCloud Photo Library, use "File > Export > Export .... photos" and use the checkmark to include all metadata.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2017 3:47 PM in response to pmillen

if you copy and paste, or drag and drop from your Photos Library on the Mac, you not only lose the metadata, you will also reduce the quality of the photos.

Use the Photos.app on the Mac to organize your photos. You can create albums in Photos, and related albums can be grouped by folders. The albums and folders will sync with iCloud Photo Library to your iPhone. The folders can be nested. You could create a folder "Kayaking" with subfolders for each year or location, and then an album with the photos from each kayaking event.

If you need folders on the disk as well, to be used from devices that cannot access iCloud Photo Library, use "File > Export > Export .... photos" and use the checkmark to include all metadata.

May 23, 2017 5:32 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for the detail. This method is helpful—I can organize photographs that are in my System Photo Library by creating a folder there to store albums and then dragging photographs into the albums, but the photographs also stay in the System Photo Library. So it seems that I'm now storing them twice and wasting iCloud capacity.

Even if they aren't double-stored through some computer addressing magic they still appear in a cluttered System Photo Library if I select "Photos" or "All Photos" from the Photos App left column. I would like to remove them from there but it appears that doing so also removes them from their albums.

1. Is there a way to store them in Photos App folders or albums and remove them from the System Photo Library?

2. What's the best way to move photographs from a networked PC to my Photos App system of folders and albums?

3. What's the best way to move photographs from a thumb drive to my Photos App system of folders and albums?

May 23, 2017 5:41 PM in response to pmillen

1 - no - Photos is a database program and it works on a library basis - each photo is in the library once (and only once) and it is viewed in different ways - Photos, All Photos, Last Import, etc are not places but simply logical views of photos in the library - you can not remove the photo from the library and still view it from the albums

2 - import them into Photos adn organize into albums (using folders too if you need a hierarchical organization

3 - same as 2

LN

May 24, 2017 11:04 PM in response to pmillen

I can organize photographs that are in my System Photo Library by creating a folder there to store albums and then dragging photographs into the albums, but the photographs also stay in the System Photo Library. So it seems that I'm now storing them twice and wasting iCloud capacity.

Photos is storing each photo only once, even if you add the photo to many albums. the albums are just grouping the photos differently, but they do not copy the photos - they are referencing the same photo in the library.

Dec 7, 2017 12:22 AM in response to Nerfherder72

Photo description says photo was created at the time the export was done. Terrible feature. Makes backing up photos and organizing very difficult.

The date in the Info for an image file in the Finder is always showing, when the file has been created.

But that does not meant, that the original EXIF Metadata will be lost.

Photos is including the original EXIF and IPTC tags, when exporting a photo with File > Export > Export ...photos. Any decent image editing program will be able to read the original capture date from the embedded tags. Just open any photo you export this way in Preview and look at the embedded metadata (use the command "Tools > Show Inspector" and check the embedded tags. You should be seeing the original capture date, the lens, the camera make, all titles, captions, keywords you added.

only boxes to include "Title, keywords, description"

These boxes are there, because you can omit these metadata, of you do not want to include them. But you cannot omit the capture time or any metadata set by the camera, like shutter speed or camera model.

How Do I Move Photos & Retain Metadata?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.