Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not installing on Windows 10 (64 Bit)

Had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (Ver 1703). Prior to this, iTunes ran fine there were no issues.

Now when I try to install iTunes (ver 12.6.1.25x64) I get an error message approximately halfway through the installation.

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft. VC80CRT. type="win32, version="8.0.50727.6195".publicKey Token="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b".processorArchitecture="amd64". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80073715

On acknowledging that error message, the installer program then begins to uninstall the contents installed and reverts to the previous status before install and then flashes this error message.

The installation of Apple Application Support did not complete successfully.

On inspecting the "Apps & Features" page within Windows I notice the following programs / apps are installed-

Apple Application Support (32 bit)

Apple Software Update

I have run the installer package as an Administrator with Anti Virus, Windows Defender and Firewall OFF.

I have run the installer package as an Administrator after repairing Apple Application Support (32 bit) program and Apple Software Update program and with Anti Virus, Windows Defender and Firewall OFF and the same error messages keep appearing with the same error code.

I have conducted a search of the forums and support pages and there are no listings with this particular error code and have tried the various remedies suggested and now at a loss as to how to continues.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on May 21, 2017 8:20 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2017 8:53 PM in response to Russ444

A clean install of iTunes on Windows often requires that all earlier related iTunes components are removed in order and then reinstalled properly.

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
  6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

Then you can do a clean install of iTunes. Here's the article: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

May 21, 2017 9:13 PM in response to Russ444

I have eventually discovered my problem and the solution to it.

If anyone else is having this problem you must install the legacy Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update.

Once I installed it the package (must install the package applicable to chip set and windows installation) the iTunes installer worked properly.

Jun 20, 2017 12:16 PM in response to 13dgc

The message "An error occurred during installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, type="win32", version="8.0.50727.6195", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", processorArchitrcture=..." may occur because a particular library file is not included in the distribution package supplied with iTunes or won't install for some unspecified reason. Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update before attempting to reinstall iTunes may help.

There are three files to choose from so you need to select the one that matches the processor architecture of your system, which should be noted in the error message.

• vcredist_x86.EXE - 32-bit systems
  • vcredist_IA64.EXE - Itanium processors (rare)
  • vcredist_x64.EXE - other 64-bit systems

tt2

Jun 20, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Russ444

I too am having the identical problem. I had to do a Reset to fix thew damage caused by most recent MS updates which crippled Edge. All other applications reinstalled fine except for ITunes. I have tried many suggested fixes including removal of all Apple components etc. Now I am clean again and ready to resolve hopefully.

Looking at your suggested fix ,which obviously worked for you, I am ready to try. However, I too lost the Microsoft Visual 2005 ( as well as 2008,2010,2012,2013 and 2015- (MS Update just reinstalled Microsoft Visual C for 2010 today ) ) so I downloaded MS Visual C 2005 via the link you kindly provided. However, there are (2) for X64 under 2005 and just one for X86. One X64 file is much larger thus I am not sure which to use? I have saved in Download file for now.

Also. the version you provided is not he same as was removed during the Reset process? Not sure if it matters as presumably the older version will be updated by the MS updates once recognized, hopefully.

Thank you and I hope to hear back from you.

iTunes not installing on Windows 10 (64 Bit)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.