Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C plugs fall out

Is anyone else having problems with USB-C plugs falling out when you move your MacBook Pro even slightly, while using it? I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with the touch bar, and it has only USB-C plugs on it. I thought it would be GREAT having four plugs, two on each side, so I could sit anywhere and always have the power cord and my external hard drive on the side that was most convenient. What I didn't anticipate was that these plugs are WORTHLESS!! They don't stay plugged in. I will be working on photographs, shift position, where I'm seated, and the hard drive comes unplugged, causing my entire library to have to shut down. I then have to wait, sometimes an infernally long time, before the drive will mount again, once I plug it back in. I'm concerned that, at some point, this may damage my rather sizable photo library, or my external hard drive. These are by far the worst plugs ever. At least slow USB 2.0 had a plug that would stay in. I loved my thunderbolt plugs, since they didn't fall out, especially when I used a cord long enough so it wouldn't put tension on the plug. I have a very long cord on my hard drive, now, yet, the slightest tension on the cord, or pull to one side or the other, and it disconnects. I'm also not impressed with the speed of this type of port, compared to my old Thunderbolt 2.0. Why does Apple keep over-simplifying everything until it loses its value? This is crazy!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), 15 inch, 16gb RAM, 2.7Ghz Core i7

Posted on May 21, 2017 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2017 5:35 AM

Read my post again, please. The problem is with USB-C connections NOT mag-safe connections. There is no mag-safe connection on the new MacBook Pro. The cables fall out with very little provocation. I have never tripped on my hard drive cable. That would be very foolish since it could send my hard drive flying!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2017 5:35 AM in response to seventy one

Read my post again, please. The problem is with USB-C connections NOT mag-safe connections. There is no mag-safe connection on the new MacBook Pro. The cables fall out with very little provocation. I have never tripped on my hard drive cable. That would be very foolish since it could send my hard drive flying!

May 21, 2017 10:34 PM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

Hello Stephen,

It may simply be that at some time you have pulled out or tripped over the cable in a way that has weakened the links within. It's easily done and if that is the case you cannot repair it, you need to buy a new cable; not a great expense. Cables do not demagnetise either partially or fully so it has to be the connection point. This link may offer some other answers.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Aug 15, 2017 8:42 AM in response to al76484

OP,

I feel your pain. I have the 2017 macbook pro with touchbar and 4 usb-c ports and my power will stop charging if i move the macbook the slightest bit on my desk (which is often because I have a cat).

Also, the slightest bump will unhinge my usb-c -> usb 3 dongle, as well as my HDMI dongle to my external monitor. it's a real PITA. the machine is beautiful but not functional. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve duct tape?

Nov 26, 2017 5:15 PM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

I haven't "yet" had this issue but see it coming. The design looks awful and not as secure as the previous MBP versions, Mag"Safe".

I use a USBC Hub for all connections. Seems like all the connections are currently tight and secure. I am not thrilled with the "new" connection interface. Looks "Micky". I am almost certain these connections will get sloppy over time, a short time. Get a plastic tooth pick and check for debris in the male and female connections, lint. I Googled around in fear of having the same issue and found these connections pick up lint and act as if they are loose and become unplugged rather easily.

Love the MacBook Pro performance though.

User uploaded file

Nov 26, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Derby_Dad

Derby_Dad wrote:

Apple Support,

I'm reasonably certain that USB-C connector is not magnetic.

I have the same problem that all three of my USB-C power cords easily fall out of all four of the USB-C ports on my MacBookPro 2017. That's 12 possible port/connector combinations! If your reply was correct, then I must be tripping a lot for an old guy (please call 911 for a broken hip).

Please carefully read Stephen's well written request and help the community with a proper response.

Mike

Lol!

User uploaded file

May 22, 2017 6:36 AM in response to seventy one

It has no mag-safe connectors, as I said. There are four USB-C or Thunderbolt 3, ports, two on each side of the laptop. These are not magnetized, and are very shallow plugs, so very easy to disconnect. It is a poor design, from my perspective, because of the loose nature of the plug. I bought an expensive adapter from Apple, to connect an older Thunderbolt external hard drive to the same laptop and it disconnects all the time, and now I have a USB-C external hard drive that also disconnects. The plug to the hard drive is slightly different, and the cable that Western Digital provided has an older USB type plug on the end that connects to the computer, so I had to get another adaptor for that cable. I have three such adaptors, each from different manufacturers, one from Apple, which is by far the WORST of the three. I have a Belkin and another that are better, but still come unplugged with little provocation. It is an aggravating situation, to have my external drive disconnect so frequently, when I am working on photographs. I spend much of my time doing photography and my library contains thousands of photographs, far too many to fit on the laptop's internal drive and too many to fit in my iCloud photo library. It would cost me a fortune to store everything in the cloud. I have a 4 terabyte drive that is nearly full and recently purchased a new 6 terabyte drive, since I tend to fill them rather quickly.

Jun 2, 2017 5:55 AM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

I have the same problem. All of the leads I use fall out over time. I work in factories that are very busy and the lightest brush past one of my cables causes the usb-c / thunderbolt cable to come loose in the port. This is very frustrating and I have to be extremely careful when updating equipment firmware with my usb-c to ethernet adapter!

I have always used my Mac on site as the entire OS is so much better to use even with Windows VM's. However, these non-professional and not even the slightest bit industrial ports are a deal breaker for me.

I think the engineers at Apple only ever sit at a very stable, very expensive desk and don't use the MacBook Pro as a portable device at all! They can't possibly or they would have noticed this massive problem!

And it is not worth speaking to Apple support as this is a design flaw that is not fixable!

However, I get very good speeds from the ports. I had to buy some Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps) / USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 cables to get the speeds as the one supplied by apple and the ones that come with disk drives limit the port speeds.

Oct 25, 2017 12:28 PM in response to arrty

Plug another usb-c cable in next to the power and rubber band the two of them together. The extra sideways force on both cables will increase the outward force required to remove the plugs. It's not a great solution since it requires a second cable and puts some sideways pressure on the plug but as long as it's not too much you should be fine.

Another option that I haven't tested: Do a search for "Bolt Magnetic Cable". They're about to release a magsafe-like usb-c cable. The tip is supposedly designed to stay in the machine with a snug fit.

Oct 28, 2017 12:02 PM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

Same problem here, regardless of which of the 4 USB C ports I plug the power into. I don't even have to jiggle it, the cable will literally come out that tiny 1 mm distance to disable AC power when just sitting at my desk and nothing but gravity applying pressure to the cable. It is unacceptably bad.

Not just power either. My USB-C connected hard drives will disconnect just as easily.

Nov 21, 2017 1:06 PM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

Apple Support,

I'm reasonably certain that USB-C connector is not magnetic.

I have the same problem that all three of my USB-C power cords easily fall out of all four of the USB-C ports on my MacBookPro 2017. That's 12 possible port/connector combinations! If your reply was correct, then I must be tripping a lot for an old guy (please call 911 for a broken hip).

Please carefully read Stephen's well written request and help the community with a proper response.

Mike

Nov 26, 2017 4:35 PM in response to Stephen Durrenberger1

same problem here.

not the cable. 2 ports on the left are so sensitive to movement I hardly use them for anything but power.

never been 'tripped over'. and actually the first thing I bought was a MagSafe copy to prevent just that. the cable isn't at fault: I plug either end into the power supply and it goes clunk. nice and solid.

not a robust design at all. the connection fails when the cable works about 1mm out of place.

very disappointed

Dec 28, 2017 9:09 AM in response to rosariomiraglia

I 100% agree with the sentiment of the OP. I got my Macbook Pro touch bar in June and the USB-C connection issue has been awful even right out of the box. I’ve spent over $200 on usb-c accessories from many different manufacturers and they all have issues holding the port connction. The official Apple brand accessories have the tightest hold but it’s still not good or what I would consider acceptable for a high-ticket, high-end product like this.

When the connection gets lose and disconnects a few times the port becomes inoperable and I have to restart before I can get the use of the port back. USB-C is nice in theory but can we get some locking connections already!!!?? Seriously. How about some user experience improvements, not just specs and speed!!

USB-C plugs fall out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.