Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it true it's not good to update to the latest OS X?

I took a 21.5" Mid 2011 iMac to an Apple Authorised Service Provider. I was using the latest OS (Sierra) and they installed Yosemite on the new Hard Drive (I had to replace my old one.) They told me "old" iMacs shouldn't use the new OS because they "can't run it."
I'd like to update the OS (I liked Sierra) but I'm worried that it might decrease performance or something like that.

I was also told I would be able to rate the service I received later because it's a new Service Provider, but that never happened (I didn't get an e-mail asking me or anything similar.)

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on May 21, 2017 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2017 2:28 PM

Those techs didn't know what they were talking about! Period!

Your year and model iMac can run the latest macOS Sierra just fine.

The only caveat is that it may not run as well with a minimum of RAM.

Newer Mac OS versions like a base minimum of 8 GBs of RAM, now.

Your year and model iMac can take, at least. 16 GBs of RAM and if it is an i5 or i7 CPU, that 2011 iMac model can take up to 32 GBs of RAM.

You MUST use THE EXACT RAM that your model iMac is spec'd for.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory (crucial .com) or OWC, aka, Other World Computing (macsales.com).

When buying RAM for Macs from Crucial memory, purchase ONLY directly from the Crucial memory website. NOT from some other online source.

Good Luck!

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2017 2:28 PM in response to rasamalai

Those techs didn't know what they were talking about! Period!

Your year and model iMac can run the latest macOS Sierra just fine.

The only caveat is that it may not run as well with a minimum of RAM.

Newer Mac OS versions like a base minimum of 8 GBs of RAM, now.

Your year and model iMac can take, at least. 16 GBs of RAM and if it is an i5 or i7 CPU, that 2011 iMac model can take up to 32 GBs of RAM.

You MUST use THE EXACT RAM that your model iMac is spec'd for.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can ONLY be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory (crucial .com) or OWC, aka, Other World Computing (macsales.com).

When buying RAM for Macs from Crucial memory, purchase ONLY directly from the Crucial memory website. NOT from some other online source.

Good Luck!

May 22, 2017 2:39 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks!
I bought 4 more Gigas of Ram when I took it in. This came with only 4 when I bought it, they tried to talk me into buying more but they were too expensive. I did try to buy the RAM myself at apple.com but couldn't find it on their website. I'm still not sure which card exactly I'd need to buy (or how to install it, since they were adamant to do it themselves, although I can take apart and assemble a windows computer and install its OS and whatever software it might need to work, but I really just wanted a compu I could just use and didn't have to be fixing myself every other day.)

Would you happen to know if there's a way I could leave a review for that tech support somewhere? When they returned my machine the fans were making too much noise (and still are) it used to be such a silent machine before that! I also heard a weird clicking noise once that worried me, I believe it was the HD and I wasn't even touching the keyboard 😢
I wish apple would just open an apple store in my (tiny) city instead of authorising other people to give us service.:

Edit: It's a i5 and I added more RAM so I could play modded Minecraft, which would make me worried if the new OS needs a lot of it (I need 4-6 to play.)

May 22, 2017 4:36 PM in response to rasamalai

8 GBs of RAM is really the base minimum just to run macOS Sierra.

You wiill find that this amount won't be sufficient for serious gameplay.

As far as the installation of your hard drive goes, it sound like the techs that installed your hard drive didn't install an Apple approved hard drive that needs the use of an additonal temp sensor that controls the speed of the fans.

It sounds like these tech really have no idea of what they were doing.

Apple uses special hard drives that have a place to install a special temperature sensor to the drive that regulates the fans. The techs either just installed an Apple approved new hard drive and forgot to reconnect the temp sensor OR they just installed any new hard drive they had on hand that has NO support for the needed temp sensor!

You can either bring your iMac back to them and tell them the problem with your internal fans are running at maximum when they weren't doing this before and ask them if they forgot to reinstall the temp sensor to the drive.

OR

You can run a software fans control to control the speed of your Macs internal fans manually.

There are two software fans control software for Macs that I am aware of.

SMC Fan Control

https://www.eidac.de/

Macs Fan Control

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

As far as installing RAM is concerned, RAM is relatively easy to install by new and novice users.

RAM is NOT hard to install.

Here is the proper RAM specs your iMac needs.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

Here's how to install RAM into your 2011 iMac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011_mem/

Good Luck!

May 22, 2017 9:34 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you so much for your very detailed replies!
I do believe I'll get more RAM for it.

To be honest, I paid them well to do what they were supposed to do. I'd much rather not *have* to install additional software to patch up their poor work (which is what I used to have to do for an old Toshiba Laptop that had problems with its fans.)
I also paid for an original Hard Drive, not for an apocryphal compatible HD.

I really wish I could give direct feedback to Apple and maybe the other Authorised Service Provider could see if there's anything funky going on in there. The problem is that this other place is always too busy and ends up keeping whatever you take in for at least 10 days or more 😟

May 23, 2017 1:03 AM in response to rasamalai

You really need to do something about the internal fans running at full speed!

You'll end up burning up the fans' motors, in time, which will lead to premature internal heat failure of components and, eventually, sooner than later, fry your Mac!

You either need to bring your Mac into the repair shop and have the repair techs look at this again to see why the fans are running at full speed (I suspect the missing or disconnected temp sensor cable) OR you need to install one of the software fans controls that I provided links to.

The fans in your Mac should NOT be blaring at full speed inside of your Mac.

Eventually, sooner than later, you'll end up burning up the fan motors.

You really need to deal with this issue!

May 23, 2017 10:47 AM in response to MichelPM

Every single day for a good amount of time (enough to irritate me.)
It might perhaps be because of what we do online, for example, earlier I was just browsing webpages that don't really use up too much RAM (facebook, quora, e-mails)

But my kid was just playing a browser based game and I hear the fans, not at full speed but they weren't making any noise before.

I also checked up last night and this morning, my old HD was a Seagate with an apple logo at the bottom of the info stamp, next to a bar code. The new one is a Toshiba (made in China) and the bag it came in doesn't have an apple logo anywhere.

May 23, 2017 11:28 AM in response to rasamalai

Yep.

Knew it!

They installed a new hard drive that can't use the special temp sensor that automatically controls the Mac's internal fans.

In your location, the repair place probably has no access to Apple approved hard drives that are compatible with the temp sensor.

Hitachi drives are, generally, pretty reliable drives, but without the connection for the temp sensor, YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL a software fans control.

The easiest fans control software to is SMC fan control, but you have to set the fans to a static speed that isn't too slow to cause overheating, but NOT too fast to allow the internal fans to act like an internal vaccuum sucking in excessive outside dust, dirt and lint.

There are two software system monitors you can install.

Either iStat Menus

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

OR

iStat Mini

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmini/

To monitor a lot of different system things including your Macs internal fans.

YOU NEED TO INSTALL A MANUAL FANS SOFTWARE CONTROL!

For you son's gaming,

Macs Fan Control allows, I think, for multiple fans settings for different uses. Not sure, read the description on this control

SMC Fans Control only has one set of control, only. So, you will have to ramp up the fan speeds higher for your son's gaming habits.

But You need to get control of your Macs's internal fans. Period! No more arguing about it!

I use SMC Fans Control, but I am the only user and I don't game too much so, I am not sure of the fan settings needed to comfortable run the fan RPMs for gaming.

I run my fans at a speed that keeps most, but NOT every component run at slightly over 100° F and cooler, if posdible.

The Mac's power supply and GPU run the hottest! It's important to not let the GPU get very hot!

Any GPU temps into the 150°-160° F or higher is NOT good for the GPU.

I try to get my GPU to run lower than 130° F and go no higher than 140° F

Most times, in cooler weather, I can get my GPU to run in the middle to high 120°F range.

Good Luck to You!

May 23, 2017 11:37 AM in response to MichelPM

Ok, I agree with you but, why wouldn't they install a legit HD? And isn't there a way to make them do the right thing?

They had to order it and it took a while until it got here (or so they said) I'm sure if I can order it online, so can they.

I'd really like to report this to apple, is there a way to do it?

PS. The other apple shop was able to replace other components on this machine that didn't give me any trouble after it was fixed (a logic board and power source thing) so, I'm sure there's a way to get original or apple approved components for them, and the other place was suggested by apple via chat, on their website (when I was trying to find the RAM.)

May 23, 2017 12:29 PM in response to rasamalai

I don't know why your Apple Authorised service center couldn't get an Apple approved hard drive.

Like I stated, maybe in your location in the world, maybe getting the special Apple hard drives from Apple or Apple sourced approved hard drives are difficult to get???

I gave you the option of bringing your Mac back to the service center and just telling them that the fans are running more and louder and see if they can identify the hard drive/temp sensor issue on their own.

Don't give them any hints. See if they find this issue, first.

If you want to complain directly to Apple about the service you got from your Apple authorised service center, you can contact Apple, directly, in Cupertino, California U.S.A at this phone number.

Maybe the shop Apple told you to use was the one you should have used.

1-800-MYAPPLE.

Not sure who you would need to talk with.

Hopefully, Apple can assist you over the phone.

Good Luck to You!

May 23, 2017 12:39 PM in response to MichelPM

I think they're just not being honest (at the new center.)

My location in the world is México, we bought our last iMac directly from apple, online, it was delivered to our door.

I'm pretty sure their authorised service providers can manage to get one original or approved HD.

We tried calling the 1800 number from México when the last iMac was bought, we were charged a lot for the call (not from apple, our phone company charged us something like 25 U.S. Dollars per minute,) although it came with "free support" for 2 years and we bought the extended care package with it too.

At this point I'd just like them to know their new center might be fishy and next time I can take it for service I'll try to use their other center, which is insufficient, they have too many people to take care of, but I'd much rather have whatever I need done well. The new center made me wait forever too anyway.

I wonder if the old center would take responsibility for what the new center did, or if they could make it right.

May 23, 2017 12:46 PM in response to rasamalai

Not sure where you live/reside in the world, but there is one supplier of Apple approved hard drives and the needed temp sensor here.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/hard_drives_and_SSD?_ga=2.15129 0489.1748168253.1495567894-274293733.1478680016

You can call them to learn more about these internal drives and Mac compatibility. They, also sell a new temp sensor cable.

1-800-275-4576 OR 1-815-338-8685

Not sure how much it would cost you to get an Apple approved/compatible internal drive from the U.S., but OWC Macsales does do international shipping.

I would just go back to your AASP, first and see if they can straighten out the issue with the fans.

See what THEY tell you!

Out of curiosity, since you had to replace the internal drive, why didn't you have a 500 GBs or a 1 TB SSD inside of your Mac instead?

SSDs are much, MUCH faster than any mechanical spinning hard drives?

I am running my older iMac from an external FW800 SSD and I can't believe the difference in performance and responsiveness of my iMac.

May 23, 2017 12:57 PM in response to rasamalai

I don't have any clues about any of that!

If you want to persue this with another AASP, that's your decision.

The easy and less-hassle free solution is just install the software fan controller and system monitor and learn how to use them and maybe spare yourself additional headaches/issues.

I hear you about calling Apple directly, but this is REALLY the only way to let Apple know that you weren't happy with your Mac repair experience.

May 23, 2017 1:06 PM in response to MichelPM

I didn't think about the SSD at the time! 😮

So, do you mean to say you have your OS installed in an external SSD? That sounds very attractive, I wonder if I can afford it, I'll take a look, thanks!

As long as the AASP still takes my iMac in for service I would much rather let them fix it for me.

It's sad that the new center can't be trusted, because of people like them I had to learn to fix my old windows PC

If (or when) my iMac gets "too old" for them to still take it in, I'll learn to fix it myself, but until then, I really hope to not have to, and I also really hope to be able to get another one way sooner than that! (So my little one can use this one for a few years.)

Is it true it's not good to update to the latest OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.