Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i mirror my macbook with a broken screen?

My 12in MacBook screen is completely smashed and I can't see to even log in. I've tried to mirror to the TV via HDMI but that won't work, not sure why.

I've also tried plugging it into the iMac and pressed Shift T so it should recognise it as an external drive but that's not working. I'm assuming that's due to putting FileVault on the MacBook

Really need to pull the data off as Apple will wipe the hard drive before they fix it.

Any ideas welcome :)

Posted on May 22, 2017 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2017 1:44 PM

Try using just T for target disk mode…

Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers - Apple Support

How is it connected to the iMac?

I think the disk should connect with 'enter password to mount' dialog.

Depending on the model you could contemplate removing the HD & fitting another - Apple can't wipe it if you don't give it to them 🙂

Look for the manual on Apple.com or use ifixit.com there are often guides for user replaceable parts. I'd link to Apple manual if they had a search system that worked… http://manuals.info.apple.com/ <- good luck with that 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Nimoakanick

Try using just T for target disk mode…

Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers - Apple Support

How is it connected to the iMac?

I think the disk should connect with 'enter password to mount' dialog.

Depending on the model you could contemplate removing the HD & fitting another - Apple can't wipe it if you don't give it to them 🙂

Look for the manual on Apple.com or use ifixit.com there are often guides for user replaceable parts. I'd link to Apple manual if they had a search system that worked… http://manuals.info.apple.com/ <- good luck with that 🙂

May 22, 2017 1:47 PM in response to Nimoakanick

Hi,

If you're trying to connect to another Mac in Target Disk Mode (Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers - Apple Support) hold down just the T key, not Shift T. I've never tried Shift T, so I don't know what will happen and if that's what's preventing you from entering Target Disk Mode, or if there's more wrong with your Mac than the display.

How do i mirror my macbook with a broken screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.