Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does a osx reinstall affect bootcamp?

Hi guys,

Im having some problems with my osx and actually wanna try reinstall osx from a backup.

The only problem that i might have is that my harddisk is split into 2 partitions (windows and osx).

And i'm afraid i will lose the partition info when reinstalling osx.

can somebody tell me how this works in general and if there's a possibility to lose either the whole bootcamp partition or the partition information?

And what would be the best way to do the re-install?

Thanks in advance!

Jasper

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.1.1, null

Posted on May 23, 2017 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2017 8:35 AM

On a 2014 or older Mac, if Windows is installed using a Hybrid MBR, some versions of OS X re-initialize the MBR, so do not. On later Macs, you may see issues if the EFI partition is rebuilt/modified during OS X installation.

Back up OS X, Windows, and use GPT Fdisk to backup your partition table using the 'b' command. You should also create a Windows System Recovery point for additional safety.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2017 8:35 AM in response to freaka.nl

On a 2014 or older Mac, if Windows is installed using a Hybrid MBR, some versions of OS X re-initialize the MBR, so do not. On later Macs, you may see issues if the EFI partition is rebuilt/modified during OS X installation.

Back up OS X, Windows, and use GPT Fdisk to backup your partition table using the 'b' command. You should also create a Windows System Recovery point for additional safety.

does a osx reinstall affect bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.