Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is the 9.7" iPad Pro Screen Gorilla Glass?

I would like to know if the 9.7" iPad Pro Screen is Gorilla Glass ? I have an iPad-3 I don't know if that is Gorilla Glass or not ? Because it seems to have got one hairline scratch which is though not noticable but still there. Nevertheless is the 9.7" iPad Pro Screen Gorilla Glass ?

iPad, iOS 9.3

Posted on May 24, 2017 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2017 6:22 AM

All iPhones, iPads and iPod touches use and have used some brand of scratch resistant tempered glass screen. Apple has never included the particular brand of screen glass used in any of their device specs though. Gorilla glass is just Corning's brand name for one of their speciality toughened glass, but there are other makes and brands of such glass.

Regardless, no glass, of any kind, is completely scratch proof.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2017 6:22 AM in response to augustya

All iPhones, iPads and iPod touches use and have used some brand of scratch resistant tempered glass screen. Apple has never included the particular brand of screen glass used in any of their device specs though. Gorilla glass is just Corning's brand name for one of their speciality toughened glass, but there are other makes and brands of such glass.

Regardless, no glass, of any kind, is completely scratch proof.

May 24, 2017 6:43 AM in response to augustya

I'm not sure what to say other than what I've already said. Apple does not mention the source of the display glass in any of their product specifications. They never have. It may well be Corning Gorilla Glass, but it may be another make or brand of speciality glass - but Apple does not publish that information.

The displays themselves also are made by more than one manufacturer - at least two (Samsung and Sharp) are reported to make displays for Apple products. But what materials they use to meet Apple's design specifications does not seem available either.

May 24, 2017 8:01 AM in response to augustya

augustya wrote:

I wonder why even after taking utmost care while using it and keeping it clean my iPad-3 seems to have got a hairline scratch I don't know from where, makes me think that is the iPad Screen scratch resistant in the first place ?

Even Gorilla Glass can get scratched. There is no Glass made on the planet that cannot get scratched. While I'm not questioning that you take good care of your devices, that does not exclude the potential for an accidental scratch at some point in time with any device. The mere evidence of a single minor scratch after some period of use tells you nothing at all about the nature of the glass used.

Scratch resistance does not at all guarantee that a scratch cannot or will not ever occur.

May 24, 2017 8:28 AM in response to augustya

augustya wrote:

Ok so some point of time it will scratch no matter what I do ? I can use a tempered glass or a screen protector, but naked screen will scratch is what you are saying ?

No, I never once said that it will scratch. I said it could scratch. Unless you never took it out of the box, or literally had it in your hands, under your direct observation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you cannot say that there has never once been a chance that it could have been scratched. Since yours is scratched, clearly at some point it was subjected to something that scratched it.

My 12.9" iPad Pro is a year old and has no scratches at all, nor does my iPad Air 2 which is over 2 years old. So while it could happen, it might not. You take the best care of them you can, but nobody can guarantee their device will never get a screen scratch (unless they simply never use it and leave it in the box).

is the 9.7" iPad Pro Screen Gorilla Glass?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.