Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is bad to use the AMD Radeon HD 6770M al the time in a late 2011 MacBook Pro?

Hi!

I just got a new-used Apple Cinema Display and I'm using it with my late 2011 Macbook Pro 15'. This was one of the affected MacBooks for the glitches and since I was covered by the Apple extended warranty the whole motherboard was changed in 2013 or 2014 (I don't remember).

Either way... I've noticed that when I connect the external display the laptop witch to the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB that had problems in the past. The temperature of the computer rises a little bit more often and the fans works a little bit more and usually at constant higher temperature, whether I use the external display alone (in closed-clamshell mode) or in conjunction with the laptop screen.

I'm wondering a couple of things here.

1. Is this setup "safe" for the laptop in the long run? of I'm risking a little big to much in a computer that old to have a failure in the long run for the rise in temperature and usage?
  2. Do the new motherboard installed the same problem as the old ones, or are they totally brand new without a known problem? I mean... the previous problem seems that have shown up because the GPU melted the connection with the motherboard after a couple of years of usage. So I would like to know if I'm risking to have the same problem again the (near) future if I continue with this setup.

Thanks for any kind of insight beforehand.

PS/ They changed the motherboard in Finland, and it wasn't under the replacement program Apple set in place in 2015.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 2.5 GHz i7 16GB 862GB FusionDrive

Posted on May 24, 2017 11:03 AM

5 replies

May 24, 2017 3:07 PM in response to lpuerto

Hi,

1. I would think along your lines, that it might be better not to use the dedicated graphics any more than I really wanted to.

2. Based on what others have posted here about their experience with Apple regarding this issue, and the fact that Apple keeps all parts from the machines they repair, and their repair statement says that they may use used or "refurbished" parts (don't ask me where I read it, but I definitely did), I wouldn't count on it being a new logic board. Whether new, used or refurbished, there's still a better chance of the GPU having issues than on other machines, so why temp it if you don't have to. That said, when I wanted to use an external display, I'd use it, as my eyes like that much better. Of course, ymmv.

Is bad to use the AMD Radeon HD 6770M al the time in a late 2011 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.