Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB exFAT Disk Access without cease (spotlight disabled)?

Hi,

I initially upgraded to Sierra when it first released. I had a few issues & crashes at that time, so quickly Time Machine reverted back to El Capitan.

Now, much later, I just am giving Sierra another go...though one of the major issues I was having is still present, which I am hoping you all might be able to help me resolve.

Basically, I have a USB 3.0 external hard drive (Touro Pro 1TB, if that's noteworthy) that is formatted at exFAT & plugged into my system. The disk is accessed continually and never stops, despite Spotlight being disabled for that drive -- which was the fix for El Capitan.

I am curious if anyone has a solution for this, as otherwise I am going to have to (yet again) revert back to El Capitan...since this will undoubtedly burn out my hard drive & hinder read/writes when actually using the drive.

I'm running on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

Any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated. 🙂

Thank you,

John

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12), Late 2013 Retina 15"

Posted on May 24, 2017 1:56 PM

20 replies

May 24, 2017 3:28 PM in response to mook33

Is there any new features in Sierra that might scan the drive for any reason other than Spotlight?

Apple has upped the security game with Sierra. As you can imagine, this has "broken" a number of things and we see posts here with a common theme around upgrading to Sierra broke ...

One possible one is that with the release of Sierra, Apple enabled System Integrity Protection (SIP) by default. It was available with El Capitan, but unlike Sierra, it was NOT enabled by default.

Ref: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support

May 25, 2017 3:44 PM in response to mook33

Take a look at that disk with mdutil…

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPag es/man1/mdutil.1.html

mdutil -s "/Volumes/[Disk-Name]"

/Volumes/[Disk-Name]:

Indexing and searching disabled.

Is that listed as disabled or enabled for indexing?

There are also command line options to disable & turn indexing off for a volume. Terminal may give you more feedback than the UI…

# turn indexing off…

mdutil -i off "/Volumes/[Disk-Name]"

# disable indexing…

mdutil -d "/Volumes/[Disk-Name]"

Also do you have permission to edit items at the base of the drive? Are you an admin when you disable the indexing in the UI?

You will need sudo for the above operations according to the last line of the short help

mdutil

…

NOTE: Run as owner for network homes, otherwise run as root.

I don't think Time Machine is related to Spotlight indexing because TM uses file system events to track changed files (fsevents). Exclude that disk if you use TM & reboot to see if the constant usage & indexing stops.

May 25, 2017 8:39 PM in response to mook33

It is unclear to me why it would continue to get indexed. Did you try the option to erase & rebuild the index…

mdiutil -E "/Volumes/[Disk-name]"

I would do that in an attempt to purge any existing index & then disable it. At this stage it probably won't make any difference.

I would reboot into safe mode & see if it behaves the same there…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

NOTE: many features will not work in safe mode just test as much as possible.

Reboot to go back to a regular OS.

Then I would consider making another exFAT volume on a USB thumb drive or other external disk to see if that behaves the same.

After that I would make a new Sierra install on another disk to check if a default Sierra is also indexing that disk.

You can also examine the logs in Console but I'm afraid I don't know what to look for specifically so that is best left until someone can direct you better. I'd poke around in the logs and connect the disk if you get really bored…

May 24, 2017 3:02 PM in response to mook33

Typically, the external drive's firmware controls when the drive spins-down, not the computer's operating system.

I am aware of at least two issues using ExFAT-formatted drives with OS X since Yosemite:

1. Not properly un-mounting the drive can cause data corruption. This is actually true for both OS X and Windows devices.
  2. Apple has gone through a number of SMB implementation with each release of OS X, and now, with macOS Sierra. These SMB versions do not necessarily correlate with the Windows counterparts and have been known to cause trouble. Regardless, this is more of an issue with network-shared drives as opposed to drives directly connected by USB.

Together these may be the culprit behind why are having some issues with doing so.

May 24, 2017 2:13 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi, and thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately the usage back-and-forth between both Mac and PC workstations requires that I use exFAT for a 'native' solution. Macdrive is used in some locations on the PC end, but I cannot rely on that always being available.

I'm just curious & trying to figure out what is still accessing the drive, if it's not spotlight. That completely fixed the issue in Mountain Lion and then El Capitan (excluding it from Spotlight)...albeit that eliminated the ease of indexing of the drive(s).

May 24, 2017 3:08 PM in response to Tesserax

Sorry, I don't think I was quite clear on what I meant by 'drive spin-down" (though that does indeed not happen in Sierra).

What's happening is that the drive is always being accessed (light blinking, holding drive to my ear I can hear occasional drive activity & spinning at full rpms). So basically, the drive is never idling; something in the OS is working away on it.

I'll run disk utility on it to ensure there's no issues there, but in general this has been a longstanding issue with the last few iterations of the OS...this is just the first time I haven't been able to get around it via Spotlight exclusion.

That is interesting in regards to the SMB changes, but yes...that's likely not the case here since it's not a network share.

May 24, 2017 3:15 PM in response to mook33

Per chance are you running any anti-virus apps on your Mac? An example would be Bitdefender that periodically scans both internal and external drives. Although, when completed, the drive access activity typically ends.

Maybe reviewing Activity Monitor may provide some clues on what may be running that could be accessing the drive?

May 24, 2017 3:20 PM in response to Tesserax

No anti-virus apps running...I'll occasionally run ClamXav manually, but it's not running in the background. That's a good suggestion though.

I'll take a look through activity monitor to see if I can see anything, but I don't "think" I have anything that would be searching drives. That is also a good idea though, albeit some tasks might be difficult to identify based on name.

I don't think this would be the issue though, considering that if I had spotlight disabled on the other other OS versions for the disk, the drive would idle just fine.

Is there any new features in Sierra that might scan the drive for any reason other than Spotlight?

Thank you for the suggestions and your continued help!

John

May 24, 2017 4:12 PM in response to mook33

Reboot to be sure that nothing has stuck.

You can try this if you are familiar with using Terminal, enter this next line, change the name (keep inside quotes) & hit return…

lsof | grep "/Volumes/[NAME-OF-DISK]"

Replace [NAME-OF-DISK] with the relevant name of the external disk. That will list open files on that disk - see if it changes over time (if Spotlight is indexing it for example).

It will NOT list system processes that you are not privileged enough to see, you need to be logged in as an admin (your first user account is normally the admin) and add sudo to the start, e.g.

sudo lsof | grep "/Volumes/[NAME-OF-DISK]"

It will request your admin password & that will not be shown - enter it blind & then hit return to run again.

Post a few relevant lines if you need help with it.

May 25, 2017 2:26 PM in response to MadMacs0

You are all so helpful, thank you!

So, after running Terminal, as well as the nifty "What's Keeping Me?" app...

...in both cases, even though supposedly excluded from it -- it is the mds process, which is spotlight, that is accessing the disk.

So either I am doing something incorrectly, or it is a bug in Sierra -- but it does not seem that I can exclude this disk from Spotlight searches via System Preferences --> Spotlight --> Privacy. The disk is added to that list, but it is still working on it regardless. I tried to 'kill' the process via 'What's Keeping Me', but upon another search...it was still running on it (mds).

Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Very bizarre.

May 25, 2017 2:55 PM in response to mook33

Being naturally curious, I found that the mds_stores process was still running on one of my external USB drives even though I added this particular drive to the Spotlight Privacy tab. In this case the drive was one of my Time Machine backup destinations. I was still a bit surprised that Spotlight was still communicating with it although it doesn't appear that it was actually indexing it. There are at least three processes used by Spotlight: mds, mdsworker, & mds_stores. Only the last one was active on this drive.

Not sure if this has any direct relationship to your issue with a ExFAT drive, but it might.

May 25, 2017 6:41 PM in response to MadMacs0

Oh sorry, I forgot to respond to that question: No, it has never been configured to be used with Time Machine.

The drive didn't come with any vendor software, or at least if it did I immediately formatted it & it was gone. I'm assuming the firmware is fine, considering all was working under other iterations of the Mac OS. Though I did look & didn't see any mention of firmware on their support page. The company has since been bought out by WD, which is a shame considering it is the best all-around 7,200 rpm USB-powered portable hard drive I have ever found.

http://www.touropro.com/en/support/

USB exFAT Disk Access without cease (spotlight disabled)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.