Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ambient sound reduction not there under Sierra

Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to a refurbished 27" iMac and have installed macOS Sierra 10.12.5. In the sound preferences, when choosing the internal microphone for input, there used to be a checkbox for

“Use ambient noise reduction.”. This does not appear on my system. Does anybody have any advice?

Respectfully,

JC

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 27" 17,1 3.2Ghz i5

Posted on May 25, 2017 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2017 10:52 AM

That option will only appear on Macs that do not implement noise cancellation in hardware. Noise reduction software is not required for your iMac17,1 so that option will not appear. That's a good thing.

4 replies

Dec 14, 2017 5:01 PM in response to John Galt

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that it's a good thing that noise reduction is now implemented in the hardware. My macbook mic sounds pretty great actually for recording acoustic guitar because of all the ambient noise it records. my new imac just sounds metallic. if i wanted that sound, i could get a ten year old samsung smartphone.

Not. A. Good. Thing.

Ambient sound reduction not there under Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.