Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to rename Magic Keyboard name

This is not really a problem, but mainly I'm just curious. I have a Magic Keyboard connected to my MacBook Pro via Bluetooth. I'm on macOS Sierra 10.12.5. When I try to rename the keyboard in the macOS Bluetooth settings, it doesn't work. I go into Settings, then Bluetooth. I right click the keyboard and choose Rename. I enter the new name and click Rename. The new name is accepted and at first it looks like it works, but if I leave Bluetooth in Settings and go back in, the old name is still there. In the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, the name never changes. Has anyone else seen this? As I said, I'm mainly just curious, because apart from this the keyboard is working fine. Thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on May 25, 2017 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 2:01 AM

I am now on Sierra 10.12.6 and I had the same problem. However I think I may have found a solution!

1. Make sure the bluetooth icon User uploaded file is showing in your menu (if not, click here for instructions)
  2. Make sure your magic keyboard is not connected to your Mac via usb, but via bluetooth only (keyboard should be paired)
  3. Hold the SHIFT and OPTION key down while left-clicking the bluetooth icon.
  4. An extra option has appeared in the bluetooth menu: 'Debugging', go there
  5. Click 'Factory Reset all connected apple devices' (Might be called a little different as I am translating from dutch.)
  6. Repair the keyboard
  7. Voila the keyboard has been reset and you can change the name to whatever you want by opening bluetooth preferences -> right click the paired keyboard -> change name -> save name. Now it works.

Hope this helps!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2017 2:01 AM in response to Geez Jan

I am now on Sierra 10.12.6 and I had the same problem. However I think I may have found a solution!

1. Make sure the bluetooth icon User uploaded file is showing in your menu (if not, click here for instructions)
  2. Make sure your magic keyboard is not connected to your Mac via usb, but via bluetooth only (keyboard should be paired)
  3. Hold the SHIFT and OPTION key down while left-clicking the bluetooth icon.
  4. An extra option has appeared in the bluetooth menu: 'Debugging', go there
  5. Click 'Factory Reset all connected apple devices' (Might be called a little different as I am translating from dutch.)
  6. Repair the keyboard
  7. Voila the keyboard has been reset and you can change the name to whatever you want by opening bluetooth preferences -> right click the paired keyboard -> change name -> save name. Now it works.

Hope this helps!

Aug 12, 2017 12:24 AM in response to robz83

I'm having this same issue. When I click to rename it the new name doesn't save. I'd imagine a factory reset to the keyboard will solve the problem but I haven't found anything useful for resetting the Magic Keyboard. I did find a useful article on editing the name of the keyboard in a plist file but that was for the battery powered brothers. Anything helps. Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread.

Unable to rename Magic Keyboard name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.