Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mediaanalysisd=slow mac

Hello,

if I am not using my mac for a while the system becomes ver very slow. I found out that a process called mediaanalysisd is starting up, when the system is not in use for some time.

If I Stop the service via the activity monitor the system becomes responsive again.

I believe that this service is similar to the photoanalysisd...difference is, I was able to disable photoanalysisd.

I was not able to do the same with the media-thing.

Does anyone know that this service even does and how to permanently deactivate it?

Thanks

VIN,Mac Pro (Early 2009), macOS Sierra (10.12.2), 3,46 GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Titan X

Posted on May 26, 2017 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2017 11:36 PM

Hi,

Try putting com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist in the trash, but don't empty it. Restart your Mac. This should regenerate the .plist and solve your issue. You can go back to LaunchAgents to check if you want. If all is good, either drag the old .plist onto the desktop/in a folder/wherever if you want to save it for potential future use, or empty the trash.

/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2017 11:36 PM in response to EruMantis

Hi,

Try putting com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist in the trash, but don't empty it. Restart your Mac. This should regenerate the .plist and solve your issue. You can go back to LaunchAgents to check if you want. If all is good, either drag the old .plist onto the desktop/in a folder/wherever if you want to save it for potential future use, or empty the trash.

/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

May 26, 2017 11:38 PM in response to tjk

Thanks alot tjk...didn't think of the plist.

So far the service didn't start up again...question is, why was it there in the first place? It seems it utilizes a technology which is not having an impact on newer macs (still on a "pimped" MacPro from 2009, 5,1) otherwise there would be more complaining I guess.

Anyways, thank you very much!

Oct 11, 2017 6:19 AM in response to EruMantis

Did you recently upgrade your operating system?

I think both photoanalysisd and mediaanalysisd are the scanning of all your pictures, videos for the "People" feature in Photos. Since I've upgraded, this has been eating up my cpu. It's slow but I assume it finishes at one point. You can see progress when you click the People folder in Photos.

Oct 21, 2017 6:03 AM in response to The_Return_of_the_Mac

I recently had the same file popping up sporadically after upgrading to High Sierra. After reading through this thread, I tried deleting the file but could not do so. Took it to the Genius Bar. The tech there (who really knows his stuff; he's helped me several times), said the easiest way to fix it was to do an archive/install, which he did for me while I ran errands (I love when folks at the GB know their stuff and can save me headaches/time). Since doing that, the file stopped launching. When he filled out my case notes, he said, "Ah. I see here that a few other folks have had this problem." Having worked at Apple Retail in the past, that's code for "They're aware of the issue and are working on it." Hope that helps anyone who may have this issue.

Oct 26, 2017 5:07 AM in response to ChristopherDeLeon

The solution for me was keeping the Mac plugged in and on all day.

This allowed media / photoanalysis to complete the scan of photos. When you open Photos, click on the People bar and it shows you how many photos remain to be scanned. There is no off switch for it.

Also, Sierra may be encrypting files as well.

All these processes take time, incredible amounts of CPU, but they complete eventually. Took a few days for me.

Dec 3, 2017 3:33 AM in response to tjk

I have the same problem - my Mac goes nuts if I leave it sitting for a while. If I leave Activity Monitor open, I can see mediaanalysisd pop up after a while using 43% CPU. When I look in /System/Library/LaunchAgents/, I see no com.apple.mediaanlysisd.plist. File list jumps from mbuseragent.plist to mdmclient.agent.plist. Running High Sierra.

mediaanalysisd=slow mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.