Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

talk.google.com Password what is this???

What is talk.google.com Password why doesn't my Apple ID work with it, Why won't it let me log in. this is why I hate updating anything! You spend the majority of time fixing the things the update screws up.

Posted on May 27, 2017 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2017 11:46 AM

Hi

talk.google.com is the server that handles the Google Talk/Hangouts messaging service that Google run.

It is a Jabber server.

Messages on the Mac can join Jabber servers.

It needs your Google ID and the password.

However at updates it can turn On System Preferences > Internet accounts to Mail first then Messages.

There seems to be an issue doing when things are done this way round. Technically you are trying to connect to two different servers (either @gmail.com or the longer @googlemail.com for Mail and the talk.google.com one for Messages)

If you wish to do both then remove the Google ID in Internet accounts.

This will remove the option for Mail and in Messages.

Now access Messages > Preferences > Accounts and use the + icon (under the list of accounts) to add an account.

Choose Google

Add you Google ID in full (The ending matters).

Once that is Added go back the System Preferences > Internet Accounts and Enable the Google account for Mail as well.

Edited

User uploaded file

7:40 pm Sunday; May 28, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2017 11:46 AM in response to ddistasi

Hi

talk.google.com is the server that handles the Google Talk/Hangouts messaging service that Google run.

It is a Jabber server.

Messages on the Mac can join Jabber servers.

It needs your Google ID and the password.

However at updates it can turn On System Preferences > Internet accounts to Mail first then Messages.

There seems to be an issue doing when things are done this way round. Technically you are trying to connect to two different servers (either @gmail.com or the longer @googlemail.com for Mail and the talk.google.com one for Messages)

If you wish to do both then remove the Google ID in Internet accounts.

This will remove the option for Mail and in Messages.

Now access Messages > Preferences > Accounts and use the + icon (under the list of accounts) to add an account.

Choose Google

Add you Google ID in full (The ending matters).

Once that is Added go back the System Preferences > Internet Accounts and Enable the Google account for Mail as well.

Edited

User uploaded file

7:40 pm Sunday; May 28, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

May 27, 2017 10:45 AM in response to ddistasi

Google Talk is a Google Instant Messaging service. It has been replaced with Google Hangouts. Regardless, both services have an existing app that can be downloaded from Google and installed on your Mac. It would NOT be something that comes from Apple as an update to your Mac's operating system.

First. Do you have a Google user account? If so, did you enabled two-step verification security for it? Second, did you previously configure the Messages app on your Mac to include Google Talk/Hangouts as one of the IM accounts that it uses?

talk.google.com Password what is this???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.