Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag & Drop from Photos to PS CC 2017

I'm running into an issue again where I can't drag picture files from Photos to the Photoshop icon in Dock to open the file in PSD. I have Photos 2.0 and the latest version of Photoshop CC. I have to drag them to the desktop first, and then drag the file to the PSD icon.

Any ideas? I seem to have lost the ability after updating my OS to Sierra 10.12.5.

Thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), i7, 2 TB Fusion AMD Radeon R9 M395x

Posted on May 27, 2017 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 2:34 PM

Kort,

I've had this problem, too. I hate that I can't do it. But here's something I just found that works.

Command-C the thumbnail. Go to Photoshop and Command-N for a new file. Choose Clipboard and Command-V to paste.

It's a pain not to be able to drag and drop multiple files; I'd still like to be able to do it.

10 replies

May 27, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Kort

D&D is not the right way to move photos to third party applications - either use the External Editors for Photos Extension ($0.99 from the APP Store) - Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

OR

export (file menu ==> export) to a desktop folder and use from there

D&D gives you a medium quality preview so you are not getting a high quality image to edit with D&D

LN

May 28, 2017 11:55 AM in response to LarryHN

I've heard that commentary before, but that is not necessarily the case. I've had no issues in the past with dragging the thumb of the file from iPhoto or Photos and opening the full file in Photoshop. I know what you mean by opening preview quality images in Photoshop, but that was not the case. Maybe it is being handle by the OS differently now. The next simplest method is to drag the thumb or image from Photos to the desktop, and then to the Photoshop icon in the dock. But that is an extra step that wasn't necessary in the past and shouldn't be now.

May 28, 2017 12:12 PM in response to Kort

I've had no issues in the past with dragging the thumb of the file from iPhoto or Photos and opening the full file in Photoshop.

This has been very buggy in the past, and you have been lucky, if it not corrupted the originals in your library. Several times, when I tested dragging and dropping from iPhoto, Aperture, and Photos to Photoshop, the original master files from the library have been passed to Photoshop, with the consequence, that the originals in my Library have been modified by Photoshop. That was a desaster, because editing the original file in the library either modified all versions of the photo or caused the library to lose the link to the original.

May 28, 2017 12:52 PM in response to Kort

Ok - you do what you want - you ask for advice and I gave advice - you choose to use it or not - of course the reason you are here is because what you are doing is not working so maybe it would be better to listen and do it differently - with the external editors for Photos being the best solution - enjoy and have a nice day - and good luck

LN

May 28, 2017 12:53 PM in response to léonie

The only chance I had of corrupting my original photo files was if I was careless and saved a modified image to my Photos library rather than Saving As to a different location. There was a previous time when the drag and drop from Photos to the PSD dock icon was not working, but it was resolved by updating system and Adobe software. I am now currently running the most recent of both so that obviously isn't going to work as a fix.

Dec 4, 2017 5:12 AM in response to batistv

How about Using the external editor option in Photos?

If you upgrade to macOS 110.13.1 high Sierra, you can simply use the command "Image > Edit With" and select PSD as the external editor. The changes will/should save back to Photos.

I cannot test with the current Photoshop version, but Photos has now the support for external editors.

Dec 7, 2017 10:16 AM in response to J Randall Harris

J - unfortunately this process just copies and pastes a lower resolution version of the image (1086x724), not the original file. It is a quick and easy fix though if you don't need higher quality. T

he best route I use other than an export add-on available for Photos, is to drag the file to the desktop, then drag that file to Photoshop. That will open the original image full size. I dislike the extra step, but can live with it.

Drag & Drop from Photos to PS CC 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.