Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected error MAPI 0x80040604 while syncing

I am trying to get iCloud to sync to my Outlook 2016, and I get the above error when the iCloud Settings tries to download from iCloud into Outlook. I have:

Brand-new computer

Fresh install of Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update)

Fresh install of Outlook 2016

Scanned and repaired my .pst files on my Windows PC

verified that the iCloud for Windows add-in for Outlook is installed and working; Outlook says it is

Uninstalled and reinstalled iCloud for Windows 6.2.2.39, it accepts my login and I can run the Control Panel

Deleted all records from Calendar, Tasks, and Contacts in the iCloud Control Panel and attempted sync again; records are uploaded to the iCloud Calendar but the process always fails when trying to download the iCloud Calendar into Outlook. I have done this multiple times, signing out of iCloud.com and out of the installer both times to 'force a reset' as I saw somewhere here.

Any help would be appreciated; this was working with the very same Outlook .pst file on my old computer with no trouble.

User uploaded file

I have also sent the report that window generates from my jw@technochitlins.*** email address

<Email Edited by Host>

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on May 28, 2017 4:34 PM

5 replies

Jun 4, 2017 8:20 AM in response to bob.masding

I managed to fix this, at least in my own unique (to me) situation.

1. Outlook is the 'master'; it contains all the Contacts, Tasks, and Calendar entries I want to show on my phone/tablet. I went into Outlook and deleted everything that was expired, then made sure my Outlook file had no inconsistencies using Microsoft's SCANPST.

2. Using the iCloud dashboard, I initialized/deleted all information on my iCloud account's Contacts/Tasks/Calendar.

I was then able to sync.

Note that I do not use Exchange so this method may not be universally applicable, but it worked for me. As nearly as I can tell, the sync was choking on duplicate information, and a massive amount of completed tasks. Good luck!

Oct 1, 2017 10:25 AM in response to technochitlin

I had the same problem, after days on investigating I found out the one the files contacts, calender or notes is corrupted in ICLOUD or OUTLOOK, you can:

a) when the sync window opens in Icloud unselect the check boxes so that it does not combine files and the process will go thru.

b) when you have a good backup of your information of calendars, contacts and notes, delete information in Icloud and restore it back again.

This finally worked for me.

Unexpected error MAPI 0x80040604 while syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.