Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove MacOS:AMC-BL[pup]

AVG antivirus (free version) reports six viruses. Four of them are MacOS:AMC-BL[pup].

The only other question I found by searching this site was

about this program was from someone using Avast AV. The only answer was a suggestion that the OP remove Avast. This was not useful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 10.3.2, OS 10.12.4

Posted on May 29, 2017 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2017 3:41 PM

PattyPDX wrote:

Removing AVG sounds like hiding the problem without doing anything to correct it.

Except that there are no viruses that attack OS X. AVG is giving you a false positive, there is no problem, and that's about the most beign thing AVG will do. As others say, uninstall it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2017 3:41 PM in response to PattyPDX

PattyPDX wrote:

Removing AVG sounds like hiding the problem without doing anything to correct it.

Except that there are no viruses that attack OS X. AVG is giving you a false positive, there is no problem, and that's about the most beign thing AVG will do. As others say, uninstall it.

May 29, 2017 3:38 PM in response to PattyPDX

Perhaps I was not clear. The "AVG" product is 100% worthless. Whatever it identified cannot possibly harm your Mac.

On the other hand useless junk such as "AVG" can harm your Mac, through present or future vulnerabilities it could introduce that would not otherwise exist if you were to leave your Mac unaltered. Get rid of it. I appreciate the illustrative metaphor you provided, but its applicability to computer security is limited at best.

I suggest that you read Effective defenses against malware and other threats. If that's not enough for you I can provide other resources for your consideration.

May 29, 2017 3:21 PM in response to greg sahli

John, Greg, thanks for the replies.

Removing AVG sounds like hiding the problem without doing anything to correct it. Without the AV program the problem (if real) would still exist. Imagine removing a "Unsafe Bridge" sign and driving across anyway. Removing the sign does nothing to make the bridge safer. Removing the AV program still leaves the virus in place.

May 30, 2017 3:43 AM in response to PattyPDX

If I had to guess, I'd say that's AVG's name for Advanced Mac Cleaner, which is what is called a "PUP." That stands for "potentially unwanted program." In this case, "potentially" is a legal nicety... you really shouldn't have that installed at all, there's no "potentiality" about it being unwanted. 😀

I'm not sure what AVG is detecting, but I can say with confidence that, if Malwarebytes didn't detect it, you don't have AMC installed.

How to remove MacOS:AMC-BL[pup]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.