Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing mini dv

The short and sweet.

Using mountain lion from a portable hard drive to fire up my mbpr which has El Capitan. There is more memory in the portable hard drive than My mbpr has.

-trying to import from mini DV via FireWire to QuickTime 10, so the full tape with full resolution can be saved into a file for later (or years later) to edit eventually.

- when QuickTime 10 finishes importing and I want to save the file, sometimes it lets me do it under the FORMAT 'MOVIE' or other times I don't get this option and only the '480' or 'iphone' options. I am only interested in the 'MOVIE FORMAT' option as I don't want to loose quality in the transfer.

- does anyone know what could be happening? Is there a way to stop this? Otherwise is there an alternative? Cheap?

-I have dozens of mini DV I would like to save in files without loosing the quality.

Thanks!

Posted on May 30, 2017 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2017 3:23 PM

- does anyone know what could be happening? Is there a way to stop this? Otherwise is there an alternative? Cheap?

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell "exactly" what is happening without more specific information as the combination of MacOS/QT X, QT X user settings, your specific workflow, etc. all have some degree of influence on "what could be happening."

I suspect that when you say "import" here, you are actually using the QT X "New Movie Recording" option to perform an "on-the-fly" conversion of DV source data being input via the FireWire interface as opposed to the "capture" of the "muxed" DV/LPCM stream and storing it "as is" in a DV file container. (It would have been helpful here if you had included screen capture images of the "Inspector" window both before and after "saving/exporting" your video data to see more precisely "what is going on.") Basically, older MacOS/QT X versions transcoded the input to H.264/AAC using a default setting or a user selectable "High Quality" or "Greater Compatibility" setting. Since Mavericks, I believe this was changed to a user selectable "High" (H.264/AAC) or "Maximum" (Apple ProRes 422/LPCM) setting with the "Greater Compatibility" setting relegated to the Finder "Encode" option. The "Max" (Apple ProRes 422/LPCM) recording option replaces the older AIC/LPCM intermediate editing file workflow and is, I assume, the "Large" file you referred to while the "Small" file version is encoded as H.264/AAC content. Tests on my system indicate ProRes 422/LPCM recordings are on the order of 10 times the size of their H.264/AAC counterparts and approximately 1.5 times the size of the source DV data streams. (Again, it would be nice to see the "Inspector" information to confirm encode formats here and determine specific changes associated with the evolving software.)

If you want "to stop this," then capture the DV content as a DV stream file or as a "demuxed" DV/LPCM MOV file using an app other other than QT X. Since you indicate you don't like the way iMovie automatically breaks your imports into individual clips, you might try an older app like Vidi (FREE!). I know you can turn off the old 2 GB limit option using it. Believe you can then capture the DV stream as one continuous file manually. However, be advised that manipulating one huge file to repeatedly perform NLE (Non-Linear Editing) in iMovie to remove breaks between recorded segments and/or eliminate dropped frames can be a real pain. Usually it is easier and more efficient to load the smaller clips automatically than it is to trim the unwanted content manually in the project.

So if QuickTime 10 sometimes lets me save the DV in raw and other times it does not, is there a reason?

Again, it would really be nice to know which specific version of QT X you are using, what compression format is in the "imported" file before and after saving the data, as well as, the editing specifics of your workflow. Certain actions before saving the file can force an export—usually to "flatten" data to a single audio and a single video track which precludes the saving of compression formats in their original form. This is reflected by the "context adaptive" output options available and, in the case of DV, the dimensions of the encode matrix. I.e., NTSC SD DV videos are encoded at 720x480 for display as "Full Screen" (640x480 4:3 aspect) or "Widescreen" (853x480 16:9 aspect) files. Further, H.264/AAC and Apple ProRes 422/LPCM "New Movie Recordings" of FireWire DV content (at least under Sierra) is also stored for anamorphic display but exported data becomes non-anamorphic. Thus, these various clues you may provide can help assemble a complete picture regarding "what is happening" on your system.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2017 3:23 PM in response to charlie alpha

Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell "exactly" what is happening without more specific information as the combination of MacOS/QT X, QT X user settings, your specific workflow, etc. all have some degree of influence on "what could be happening."

I suspect that when you say "import" here, you are actually using the QT X "New Movie Recording" option to perform an "on-the-fly" conversion of DV source data being input via the FireWire interface as opposed to the "capture" of the "muxed" DV/LPCM stream and storing it "as is" in a DV file container. (It would have been helpful here if you had included screen capture images of the "Inspector" window both before and after "saving/exporting" your video data to see more precisely "what is going on.") Basically, older MacOS/QT X versions transcoded the input to H.264/AAC using a default setting or a user selectable "High Quality" or "Greater Compatibility" setting. Since Mavericks, I believe this was changed to a user selectable "High" (H.264/AAC) or "Maximum" (Apple ProRes 422/LPCM) setting with the "Greater Compatibility" setting relegated to the Finder "Encode" option. The "Max" (Apple ProRes 422/LPCM) recording option replaces the older AIC/LPCM intermediate editing file workflow and is, I assume, the "Large" file you referred to while the "Small" file version is encoded as H.264/AAC content. Tests on my system indicate ProRes 422/LPCM recordings are on the order of 10 times the size of their H.264/AAC counterparts and approximately 1.5 times the size of the source DV data streams. (Again, it would be nice to see the "Inspector" information to confirm encode formats here and determine specific changes associated with the evolving software.)

If you want "to stop this," then capture the DV content as a DV stream file or as a "demuxed" DV/LPCM MOV file using an app other other than QT X. Since you indicate you don't like the way iMovie automatically breaks your imports into individual clips, you might try an older app like Vidi (FREE!). I know you can turn off the old 2 GB limit option using it. Believe you can then capture the DV stream as one continuous file manually. However, be advised that manipulating one huge file to repeatedly perform NLE (Non-Linear Editing) in iMovie to remove breaks between recorded segments and/or eliminate dropped frames can be a real pain. Usually it is easier and more efficient to load the smaller clips automatically than it is to trim the unwanted content manually in the project.

So if QuickTime 10 sometimes lets me save the DV in raw and other times it does not, is there a reason?

Again, it would really be nice to know which specific version of QT X you are using, what compression format is in the "imported" file before and after saving the data, as well as, the editing specifics of your workflow. Certain actions before saving the file can force an export—usually to "flatten" data to a single audio and a single video track which precludes the saving of compression formats in their original form. This is reflected by the "context adaptive" output options available and, in the case of DV, the dimensions of the encode matrix. I.e., NTSC SD DV videos are encoded at 720x480 for display as "Full Screen" (640x480 4:3 aspect) or "Widescreen" (853x480 16:9 aspect) files. Further, H.264/AAC and Apple ProRes 422/LPCM "New Movie Recordings" of FireWire DV content (at least under Sierra) is also stored for anamorphic display but exported data becomes non-anamorphic. Thus, these various clues you may provide can help assemble a complete picture regarding "what is happening" on your system.

importing mini dv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.