You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the iBooks folder hidden?

In my effort to sync books between devices, I discovered that the iBooks folder is hidden. This is on my Mac using Sierra.

Through a search I found that there is a folder located at iCloud Drive > iBooks but the iBooks file isn't visible in my iCloud Drive folder unless I search for something within that file. I also can't simply add it to the sidebar because it sticks but when you click on it again it only shows you the iCloud Drive parent folder with no iBooks folder visible.

I used a terminal command to show all hidden files but it didn't show the iBooks folder within the iCloud Drive folder. The only reason I know it's there is because of the directory hierarchy visible on the Finder status bar.

Can someone tell me why it's hidden?

By the way, by using books that aren't purchased but transferred from my external HDD, the books didn't sync between devices until I found this hidden folder.

Posted on May 31, 2017 1:07 AM

11 replies

May 31, 2017 2:47 PM in response to megotproblems

can't do it though because I can't actually select the folder. The only way I know how to get to the folder is to search for something that's inside it, and then go to the enclosing folder

I selected the enclosing folder in the path bar below the Finder window and ctrl-clicked it to create an alias.

To open the iBooks folder I typed into the Terminal

open ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud~com~apple~iBooks

• To show the path bar below the window use "View > Show Path bar ⌥⌘P"
  • Now ctrl-click the iBooks folder in the path bar and select a service to create the alias on the Desktop.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2017 2:20 PM in response to megotproblems

Can someone tell me why it's hidden?

Only Apple can tell you this, but it is systematic. All iCloud Drive folders, that are application collections for iOS apps and used by the iPhone or iPad are also hidden. For example, I can see the GarageBAnd for Mac folder on iCloud Drive, but not the GarageBand iOS folder.

I am using the work around to create an Alias to the hidden folder on the Desktop and then dragging this Alias to the sidebar of a Finder window. This Alias will keep working.

May 31, 2017 2:27 PM in response to léonie

It's a good idea to create an Alias and I've tried to do that, thanks. I can't do it though because I can't actually select the folder. The only way I know how to get to the folder is to search for something that's inside it, and then go to the enclosing folder (which is the folder in question) but if I try to get to it's enclosing folder, which is the iCloud Drive folder, there's nothing to select to make an Alias. So I can get the contents of the folder in a Finder window, but can't get a top view of the folder itself.

May 31, 2017 10:36 PM in response to léonie

Yeah, I already had the path bar showing, but when I click it to get the services menu I only have about five options. I tried to see if I could create the script and looked online but couldn't find anything helpful. It's not a huge deal as I've got the terminal command thanks to you, and I can access the folder from there when I need it. If you happen to know where and how I can add that AliasOnDesktop script that would be great. But thanks so far for your help, I appreciate it.

Why is the iBooks folder hidden?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.