Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore a disabled iPad Mini but when I connect to Itunes i get this message: "Itunes could not connect to this Ipad. The value is missing".

Good day!

I am trying to restore this ipad that is disabled but whenever I try to restore in itunes i get this message: Itunes could not connect to this ipad. The value is missing."

I do not know the os of the ipad mini but my itunes version is 12.6.1 and I'm doing this on my Macbook Pro with MacOS Sierra.

Help me please!User uploaded file

iPad Mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 1, 2017 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2017 2:10 PM

Hi there, gedmacapinlac29!

Thanks for reaching out via the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your iPad mini is disabled, and you are unable to restore it using iTunes. I'd be happy to help!

For a disabled iPad, I recommend using the "Erase your device with recovery mode to remove your passcode" section of this article: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled , which gives the following instructions:

If you've never synced with iTunes or set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.
    User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

If you are still have trouble restoring the iPad mini, please reach out to Apple Support directly. You can get in touch with them here: Contact Apple Support

Have a lovely day!
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2017 2:10 PM in response to gedmacapinlac29

Hi there, gedmacapinlac29!

Thanks for reaching out via the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your iPad mini is disabled, and you are unable to restore it using iTunes. I'd be happy to help!

For a disabled iPad, I recommend using the "Erase your device with recovery mode to remove your passcode" section of this article: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled , which gives the following instructions:

If you've never synced with iTunes or set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.
    User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

If you are still have trouble restoring the iPad mini, please reach out to Apple Support directly. You can get in touch with them here: Contact Apple Support

Have a lovely day!

Oct 21, 2017 11:45 AM in response to gedmacapinlac29

This is not a solution, it's a dumpster fire. Solutions predict what users will do or need to do. Not in the way engineers would either, I mean your average user and their standard behavior i.e. LCD

1) When users change passcode, they should be prompted and/or required to backup their phone.

2) iTunes and iCloud passwords should be enough to recover an phone without having to wipe out all the data stored on the phone. At least give the option to back it up and recover using a verified key.

3) At a minimum, a user should be able to bring their phone into an Apple Store or their mobile service provider, show photo ID and enter their iCloud password and reset their phone.

Now because of your very buggy application (read iTunes - which has devolved into a garbage app btw), I am losing data after my iPhone stopped recognizing my password and iTunes started glitching out.

From an end user perspective, this is unacceptable and another sign of Apple's slide into mediocrity. If their were any justice in the world, Zombie Steve Jobs would come back from the dead to clear house.

So instead of being able to access my data, I get to nuke it from space.

Oct 29, 2017 9:16 PM in response to Anonymous_Howard

Completely agree. apple is slipping. I'm having the same problem—luckily with my daughter's ipod, so I may just make her wait for a few weeks to see if Apple can address this 'dumpster fire'. If not, we don't probably have much to lose by wiping it.

Good luck Howard. Good luck Apple—lots of great competition.

<Edited by Host>

Trying to restore a disabled iPad Mini but when I connect to Itunes i get this message: "Itunes could not connect to this Ipad. The value is missing".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.