Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone shows unknown Artist or Album

I use the grouping field in iTunes in order to be able to add the language of a track. For some reason some(!) albums on my iPhone suddenly got messed up. Instead of showing the titles, some(!) tracks are displayed with the information of the grouping field. Plus, those tracks are "grouped" within the album view by showing the language and "by unknown" above them. When I play the track, all the information is shown in the "currently playing view".

In my iTunes library however everything is displayed perfectly fine. Also, all my tracks are tagged with both the interpret and the album interpret. Compilation field is unchecked as well. Really disturbing about this whole thing is, that deleting the information of the grouping field doesn't have any effect on the described problem.

I tried finding out the difference between the tracks that are displayed fine and those that aren't, but all fields contain the same information. One thing that sometimes messed with my library was whenever I edited tags while iTunes was syncing with the cloud. However, in those cases the information (mostly artists appearing twice) were both displayed wrong in iTunes and on my phone.

Any suggestions how to fix this mess, anyone?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.2, null

Posted on Jun 3, 2017 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2017 3:35 AM

See Organize your classical music in iTunes - Apple Support. For some reason Apple choose to assign the field that held Grouping to the new Work property. You should be able to put the data you want back in the new Grouping field, clear Work, and make sure that Use Work and Movement is not ticked. Then when you sync your phone things should go back to normal.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2017 3:35 AM in response to peterrific

See Organize your classical music in iTunes - Apple Support. For some reason Apple choose to assign the field that held Grouping to the new Work property. You should be able to put the data you want back in the new Grouping field, clear Work, and make sure that Use Work and Movement is not ticked. Then when you sync your phone things should go back to normal.

tt2

iPhone shows unknown Artist or Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.