Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac can't connect to the account "Hotmail" even though I can log in with same id/password via browser. What's up with that?

I recently updated my AppleID and iCloud and iPad password (how clunky and confusing that is), but since then the mail service on the Mac claims it cannot verify my Hotmail connection. I can use the same hotmail id and password successfully in a browser, but each time I attempt to enter the hotmail password in the Mac mail service it says: "Mac can't connect to the account 'Hotmail'".

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2017 8:38 AM

1 reply

Jun 4, 2017 11:16 AM in response to guyho

Hello guyho,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to get your Hotmail account to work in the Mail app on your Mac. First, if you have additional security features enabled on your Hotmail account, check to see if need an app specific password.

If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password

If that doesn't resolve your issue, use the Mail Connection Doctor tool to help get more details on this issue and how to resolve it.

Use Mail Connection Doctor

Cheers!

Mac can't connect to the account "Hotmail" even though I can log in with same id/password via browser. What's up with that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.