Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Usb C to lightning cable fake?

Hello,

I purchased an official apple lightning to USB c from eBay and I'm starting to suspect it is fake. It was from a U.K. Seller with 100% feedback, and the comments about the this particular item are all positive. The cable works and seems to be functioning correctly.

There is no information about fake USB c connectors at the moment possibly owing to the fact that it's new 'ish' so I'm unsure what to look for. This is why I suspect this is fake,

User uploaded file

Above is a official USB c charge connector

User uploaded file

Above are charge cable (bottom connector)

Ebay official (middle) and official digital A/V multi port adaptor (top)

User uploaded file

Again here is the Ebay official.

I've examined all the apple USB c cables I have and the eBay cable two subtle differences.

1. The inside of connector is an off white colour, the others are white.

2. (This is hard to describe) where the metal connector meets the plastic surround it's shiny like the rest of it but on the other apple connectors it has a matte finish.

On the lightning connector side its identical my official standard USB to lightning cables.

Any advice please.

Posted on Jun 3, 2017 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2017 5:54 AM

Hi there, seanfrommars.
I see that you've purchased USB-C to Lightning cables from a seller on eBay and you're wondering if they're authentic. I'll be happy to supply some information that should prove helpful.

Apple recommends using only accessories that Apple has certified and that come with the "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" logo.*
*Only Apple makes the USB-C to Lightning Cable. There are no "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" USB-C to Lightning cables.

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Enjoy your day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2017 5:54 AM in response to seanfrommars

Hi there, seanfrommars.
I see that you've purchased USB-C to Lightning cables from a seller on eBay and you're wondering if they're authentic. I'll be happy to supply some information that should prove helpful.

Apple recommends using only accessories that Apple has certified and that come with the "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" logo.*
*Only Apple makes the USB-C to Lightning Cable. There are no "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" USB-C to Lightning cables.

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Enjoy your day!

Jun 7, 2017 11:31 AM in response to seanfrommars

Just an update. I popped into the Apple Store in Brighton and asked to see a USB c to lightning cable and explained my issue. The guys there are great, I took a look and their's and its definately different to my eBay cable.

All I have to say is WoW these differences are so minute but I'm 100% sure mine is fake. I hope apple check this thread out and perhaps look into it and update their fake cables support page (no USB c stuff)

Is my Usb C to lightning cable fake?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.