Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my computer be able to support 1GB connection?

My apartment complex is installing AT&T fiber optic outlets in all apartment units. The service guy said that some people with older devices and computers wouldn't be able to get those speeds due to being so old. My question is I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, how can I go about finding out if it would support a 1GB internet connection?

Posted on Jun 5, 2017 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2017 9:31 AM

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

Both of those Macs have a Gigabit ethernet port which can support the 1GB speed through a wired connection, but also only have 802.11n wifi card which is limited to a theoretical maximum of 450Mbps over wireless.

Your maximum speed will also depend on what bandwidth you are paying for and receiving from your ISP.

Just because you have wiring that supports up to 1000Mbps does not mean you will get those speeds if your internet package is not at those speeds.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2017 9:31 AM in response to scorpio985

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

Both of those Macs have a Gigabit ethernet port which can support the 1GB speed through a wired connection, but also only have 802.11n wifi card which is limited to a theoretical maximum of 450Mbps over wireless.

Your maximum speed will also depend on what bandwidth you are paying for and receiving from your ISP.

Just because you have wiring that supports up to 1000Mbps does not mean you will get those speeds if your internet package is not at those speeds.

Jun 5, 2017 9:45 AM in response to scorpio985

Yes, newer computers have 802.11ac wireless cards which support a theoretical maximum of 1300Mbps so can easily handle the 1GB connection.

Note that these are all theoretical maximums in very specific settings and environmental scenarios. In most cases the wifi speeds will be lower than that due to interference, distance and other issues around the wireless router.

Also the wireless router needs to be 802.11ac compliant to provide the 1GB speeds.

And as said the bandwidth you pay for from your ISP needs to also be that fast. Otherwise you'll be limited by that too.

Jun 5, 2017 6:27 PM in response to scorpio985

Best check with management (and/or the provider) as to what service they will be offering. My equipment could easily handle such speeds - BUT (it is a big but), the highest speed available from my provider in this area is 15 mbps - that's pretty slow (a 5 - 6 GB OS download takes 1.5 - 2 hours). So, just because it may be available, does not mean you can actually get it.

Jun 6, 2017 10:28 AM in response to babowa

What do you mean check with management and or the provider? Management was the ones who put notices on everyone's doors. The notice specifically said AT&T fiber. The guys who came into all the units were in AT&T uniform. AT&T service vans are parked in the parking lot...so I'm pretty sure its safe to say that "the service they will be offering" will be AT&T fiber. I currently have AT&T UVerse internet..I REFUSE to give Comcast my business.

Jun 6, 2017 1:55 PM in response to scorpio985

I was not questioning whether it'd be AT&T or someone else.

I was referring to your apartment management: are they providing the service for free?

And exactly which connection speed service are they providing? Just because the cables can handle a certain speed doesn't mean that is the speed that is being paid for.

Or are you paying for the service? In that case, what, if any, options are you being offered?

And, if you are paying for the service, check with AT&T to see what is being offered at what price.

Jun 6, 2017 4:42 PM in response to babowa

The complex is not paying for the service. The guys who came and installed the wiring said once they were finished with the whole complex it'd be up to AT&T management as to when to greenlight the services. I do not know what the actual speeds will be, nor do I know what the prices are. AT&T's website lists my city as a city that already has fiber connections turned on but when I ender my address I cant view the pricing details.

Will my computer be able to support 1GB connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.