Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 iMac : fusion drive details

Hello,

Like other people I was wondering about the Display Target Mode : will USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) will allow this feature again???

But my point in this particular topic is the fusion drive : I am thinking about a new 5K iMac, but I still see the 1Tb and 2 Tb options for Fusion Drives. Does anybody have a clue if the 1Tb is still having the very low 24Gb SSD part? and The 2Tb FD has the 128Gb part? Apple emphasis was about SSD speed improvement, but not on Fusion Drive...

Thanks for your hints or piece of info!

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jun 6, 2017 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2017 1:15 AM

Hello community,

I have found some extra details in Apple description : "The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 32GB of fast SSD — enough to store important macOS files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep, and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps. The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives pair a larger hard drive with 128GB of fast SSD storage"

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2017 1:15 AM in response to djodjo71

Hello community,

I have found some extra details in Apple description : "The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 32GB of fast SSD — enough to store important macOS files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep, and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps. The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives pair a larger hard drive with 128GB of fast SSD storage"

Jul 8, 2017 7:38 PM in response to djodjo71

I have the entry level 2017 iMac with 32 GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive. If I had known that the 2TB drive would have bumped the SSD up to 128, I would *instantly* have paid the difference.

My philosophy as I bring this iMac into the next 7 years of use is to leave the internals they way they are, and then get external SSDs and other storage devices that use the thunderbolt 3. Like my first *plan for world domination* is to get an M.2 SSD and a thunderbolt 3 enclosure (M.2 SSDs top out at 2 GB so TB2 should be fine with its 10 GB). Then boot the iMac2017 off the M.2 drive. As TB3 comes along, I'm hoping that someone will do direct attach TB3 NAS that performs like this wicked cool Dell internal SSD:

User uploaded file

Has anyone booted a 2017 iMac off an external TB2 or TB3 M.2?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2017 7:48 PM in response to jcsuperstar

Thanks jcsuperstar for the info.

Really? I was eyeing to buy this model:

Apple 21.5" iMac with Retina 4k Display (Mid 2017

• 3.0 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core
  • 16GB of DDR4 RAM |1TB Fusion Drive
  • 21.5" 4096 x 2304 IPS Retina 4K Display
  • AMD Radeon Pro 555 Graphics Card (2GB)
  • UHS-II SDXC Card Reader
  • Thunderbolt 3 | USB 3.0 Type-A

But paired with only a meager 32gb or 24gb ssd maybe

for $100 more I'll probably opt for the 256gb ssd. Or wait until October 2017

Apple may announce an update of my favorite model, the lowly Mac mini (late 2014)

pcle/ssd drive only then I will make my final decision.

Jul 4, 2017 12:21 PM in response to djodjo71

Why, mac mini (late 2012) 2.6GHz 1tb fusion drive paired a 128gb ssd as follows:

Physical Volumes:

disk0s2:

Device Name: APPLE SSD SM128E

Media Name: APPLE SSD SM128E Media

Size: 120.99 GB (120,988,852,224 bytes)

Medium Type: SSD

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

PV UUID: DA55B080-40DC-421E-9FD6-2CDA3C6573B3

disk1s2:

Device Name: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662

Media Name: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 Media

Size: 999.35 GB (999,345,012,736 bytes)

Medium Type: Rotational

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

PV UUID: 3FE810D7-41E2-4FC0-9681-4320B0924627

Jul 8, 2017 11:54 AM in response to romeii

I understand your thinking and the choice for the 21.5 4K model is really good. just opt for the 2tb fusion drive which leaves more than ample room (128gb) to run your applications and a lot extra to fill up the drive.
this was the option I took but then with the 27 inch.
you can always, later in game, lose the fusion drive for a hefty 750GB or 1T SSD when the prices come down.
G'luck in your choice.

Jul 9, 2017 12:39 AM in response to jcsuperstar

I understand your thinking and the choice for the 21.5 4K model is really good. just opt for the 2tb fusion drive which leaves more than ample room (128gb) to run your applications and a lot extra to fill up the drive.

Is it possible to get a 2TB fusion drive with the 21.5" iMac? I thought the 2TB and 3TB fusion drive options only came with the 27" iMac.

Jul 9, 2017 9:56 AM in response to djodjo71

I "instantly" jumped to the 2TB machine.

But I spent the 1st 5 days of ownership battling a problem that took all color and images out of my preferred browser, Google Chrome...which made it unusable. In case this happens to anyone else, the solution is not available online (checked MANY places). So, I wiped and reset it, and everything was immediately fine.

Jul 9, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Csound1

I read the specs, but the 32 vs 132 gb SSD between 1 and 2 TB Fusion drive, got by me. Thank you for making fun of the oversight, perhaps, by raising the point, we can save future iMac buyers from making the same mistake. That is what djodjo71 was trying to avoid in starting this thread?

Now, I've been a good sport Csound1. What do you think about the idea of an M.2 SSD in an external Thunderbolt closure as a boot drive? I can use all the help I can get working that angle!

Jul 10, 2017 4:15 AM in response to Lost in Asia

yes, i had opted for the 2tb when i bought but as mentioned, it was a 27 inch model. when ordering direct from the apple site, i noticed that there wasn't the option of any fusion drive larger than the 1tb one.
wierd, as i've seen 2nd hand models being sold with the 2tb fusion drive installed. check at an Apple dealer (but not THE official 'apple store' as they seem to be able to offer more than the default configurations.

Jul 10, 2017 5:04 AM in response to jcsuperstar

The BTO options on the iMac were a bit confussing (or downright broke), in that BTO options varied based on the base mode you chose to start with. If you wanted more ram ir bigger drives and GPU you had to start with the mid or high end models. This caused a lot of confusion for customers and I'm sure Apple is paying for it with returns as customers realized the site itself didn't allow then to BTO.

2017 iMac : fusion drive details

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.