Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 5k imac target display mode yet?

Does anyone know yet (from official sources) if the new 2017 5k iMacs just announced at WWDC support Target display mode finally? Everything has Thunderbolt 3 and Skylake now- so it shouldn't be an issue of bandwidth anymore. Bottom line- targetbdisplay mode holds a LOT of long term value... I have kept my 2010 27" iMac for exactly this use as a decond monitor, even though I stopped using it as a comouter long ago. If I can do the same with a 5k iMac... game on.

Posted on Jun 6, 2017 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2017 7:59 AM

Please refer to Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support, it has not been modified to specially mention the 2017 imacs, however it does say:

"iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can't be used as Target Display Mode displays."

17 replies

Jun 8, 2017 5:44 AM in response to keven4ever

Wow. I'm not the penultimate expert, but from everything I have read, with TB3/USB-C, and now with Skylake processors supporting Displayport 1.3, there should be absolutely no issues in terms of actual hardware limitations that should prevent this from working. In that case, it's merely Apple's decision... and it is an extremely bad one. They just lost an iMac sale to me because of it. Target display mode is EXTREMELY convenient - I still use my 2010 27" iMac (am using it as a monitor with my MB pro as I type) - and would have happily upgraded it to a 5k monitor/iMac that I can use as standalone when I want to leave my MBP at the office - but as it is, what is the point of upgrading? I guess for people that only plan on using it as a standalone desktop, ok - but it's hard not to feel this is just a customer gouge on Apple's part now. At this point, it seems to only be a matter of software - not hardware. Disappointing.

Jun 8, 2017 8:12 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I hope that document is just out of date. But I'm searching everywhere for the official line

The post does say published before WWDC (10th of March 2017 as I look at it now)
Maybe we're just waiting for folks to come back from WWDC to get the page updated.
I like vanchinamn just need an excuse to upgrade... Maybe it's being held back as a Pro feature.
I really need a good excuse for that one!

Jun 8, 2017 12:40 PM in response to RosOne

RosOne wrote:

This wasn't updated yet, page says "Published Date: Mar 10, 2017"

However it does say what it says. As with any new updates there is always a small amount of people that want some either new or old feature, TDM is no different. Time will tell if TDM becomes available for the 2017 iMac Retina's.

Please remember I am only reporting back what Apple has currently published, that's all I can do.

Jun 8, 2017 8:31 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes- and thanks for reporting the page. I'd like to still hope this will get updated or that TDM will be brought back with High Sierra at least- because although I don't necessarily agree it's a small number of users that would like it back (I think there are many), the reasons for excluding it seem... well, like a feature-gouge. There are no hardware limitations at this point that would make it anything other than a software update. It was easier to swallow before when lack of TB3 and/or Displayport 1.3 was supported... but now? There is no good reason. And as I said- honestly, it's a deal-breaker for me (and I would think others like me).

Jun 9, 2017 2:17 AM in response to vanchinaman

Well, I am not sure it there is NO hardware limitation to support TDM. I heard rumours that back at imac5k released, there is no single hw interface can support such high resolution, so internally in iMac, they put kind of two wires (i.e two HDMI) connect to display, so seems like the display of iMac 5k has some proprietary way of wiring which is why even if TB3 can't be used to support TDM. If this is case, only when apple redesign display of Imac5k, then it is possible to get TDM back. I hope i am wrong......

Jun 10, 2017 6:58 PM in response to ajbrutico

I was told by a sales rep at the 5th Avenue Apple Store on Thursday that the new 2017 iMacs DO support Target Display Mode, but when I asked to test it out to make sure they wouldn't even try it.

I'm still waiting to hear an official, public yes or no on this feature to be sure either way. This feature will greatly influence my purchasing decision and I'm hoping it is supported.

Jun 12, 2017 1:53 AM in response to keven4ever

Well- it looks like it doesn't, given there is only one person who claims they tested in store on the thread linked above and many others who have received official no's from Apple Support or tried it to no avail. I still don't see how this could be a hardware limitation- the iMac itself can drive a secondary 5k monitor, and now with TB 3 bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. So, unless Apple has decided to build their particular 5k iMac displays in such a way as to never support them being used as a monitor (which, in my mind, is also ridiculous at this point)- then this all seems like a lost opportunity for Apple. I would happily get a 5k iMac AND newer MB Pro if I could use TD mode... but as it is- I won't be getting either. It just makes the whole investment a majorly dated purchase at the start. Seriously dismayed by these decisions...

2017 5k imac target display mode yet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.