Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac internal mic not working

Perhaps a couple months ago, I had trouble using Skype: the other party could not hear me. Last week I was trying to test up to use another video conferencing system that provides a video & audio test in set up prior to use. Could not get any vu-meter response on mic test. Tapping on the iMac case showed signal to the vu-meter.

Is there any way to test for certain this is a hardware problem? Can there be a software/OS problem here, like a corrupt driver or .plist etc? (Running OS 10.10) What about an external mic: who has had success with using that instead?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2.8Ghz i7, 21.5in, 8GB, HP P2015dn

Posted on Jun 7, 2017 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2017 7:36 PM

System Preferences > sound, Input tab, then select Internal microphone and move input volume slider all the way to right. Speak something into the microphone and see if input level meter react.

If not, internal microphone is something wrong.

Yes, using external microphone is good solutions and quality of input sound better.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2017 7:36 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

System Preferences > sound, Input tab, then select Internal microphone and move input volume slider all the way to right. Speak something into the microphone and see if input level meter react.

If not, internal microphone is something wrong.

Yes, using external microphone is good solutions and quality of input sound better.

Jun 7, 2017 7:58 PM in response to kaz-k

Yes, as I wrote in the thread title, my internal mic is **not** working. As I made clear, the vu-meter does not register voice or noise, only tapping on the case.

What I asked was for a way **I** can TEST if it's a HARDWARE or SOFTWARE problem of some type, beyond the very simple troubleshooting I've already described doing.

I already know that an external mic is an option. Do you have **specific** experience & tips you can offer?

Thank you.

Jul 14, 2017 1:14 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

I have exactly the same problem with my iMac 5K 2017 (macOS 10.12.5). My internal microphone just hears tapping on the case, but no voice or noise.

I changed my first iMac 5K 2017 to another iMac 5K 2017 today because of this problem, but the new one has the same problem. What is it and how do we get the microphone working again? I can't say, if it is Hardware or Software.

iMac internal mic not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.