Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to SMB share on network

Hello,

I have recently been having trouble connectig to an SMB share on our netrwork.

When I try to connect to it (CMD+K), I normally enter the details of the share, then a dialogue box comes saying 'Connecting to SMB://.....' and another dialogue bow comes up asking for the username and password.

However for some reason now it just hangs on the first dialogue box, perpetually saying 'Connecting to SMB://....' and the username and password box never appears.

User uploaded file

I can ping the sever so it knows it is there, but I just can't connect to it as it gets stuck right before the bit where it asks me for the login details.

I thought it might be a glitch in a cache file or some kind of permissions problem and wondered if there was any way to coepltely reset how the machine conects to the netowrk, but I don't know how to do that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also my Mail started becoming extrememly slow and choppy at around the same time and hasn't got any better.

I am on a iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 5:11 AM

I have discovered it may be something to do with Keychain Access but I don't know what.

I removed the link and password from Keychain access and restarted the machine then when I connected, I got the prompts as usual and was able to connect to the smb share. However when I restarted again, it would not let me connect and I got the same hanging dialogue box.

I then removed the network prefernces from the system configuaration folder and restarted. Again I was able to connect, but after a restart it did not connect and started hanging again.

There must be something to do with keychain access or the network preferences which is getting stuck and not allowing me to connect, but I dont know what to do about that!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 5:11 AM in response to aaaarrggh

I have discovered it may be something to do with Keychain Access but I don't know what.

I removed the link and password from Keychain access and restarted the machine then when I connected, I got the prompts as usual and was able to connect to the smb share. However when I restarted again, it would not let me connect and I got the same hanging dialogue box.

I then removed the network prefernces from the system configuaration folder and restarted. Again I was able to connect, but after a restart it did not connect and started hanging again.

There must be something to do with keychain access or the network preferences which is getting stuck and not allowing me to connect, but I dont know what to do about that!

Can't connect to SMB share on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.