Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stops backing up in iTunes (step 2 of 8)

Start the process of doing my backup to iTunes. It starts, shows that my last backup was on 6/6. Step 1, good, Step 2 (backing up) it stops and the iPhone display windows on my iTunes disappears.

What is strange that on my iPhone it shows the little backup wheel continue. It keeps going and doesn't stop.

After about an hour, I quit my iTunes and remove my phone and them put it back in, it still shows my last backup on 6/6.

User uploaded file

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 4:54 PM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2017 8:04 AM in response to chrispynj

The photos syncing is not strange; it's expected behavior. Have you tried all of the USB ports on your computer, and tried disconnecting all USB devices that draw power (such as USB drives that don't have wall plugs)? Another thing to try is a USB hub that has its own power source. Make sure that it can supply at least 1 amp to each port.

Jun 10, 2017 5:37 AM in response to chrispynj

This usually indicates a USB problem with your computer. Make sure you are using a port that can supply at least 1/2 amp, and, if it is a desktop or tower computer (other than an Apple product) use a port on the back rather than the front.

You may also have a corrupt backup on your computer; you can delete it in iTunes Preferences, Devices tab, and try again.

Meanwhile, to protect your data, back up to iCloud.

iPhone stops backing up in iTunes (step 2 of 8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.