Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Remote App does not recognize Gen 3 ATV (Ethernet vs WiFi)

Apple TV Gen 4 / tvOS 10.2.1 / 192.168.55.141

Apple TV Gen3 (A1469) / tvOS 7.2.2 (8015) / 192.168.55.243

iPhone 7+ / iOS 10.3.2

iPhone 6s+ / iOS 10.3.2

AppleTV Remote App / v1.1.1

Network: Ethernet

Switch: CISCO SYSTEMS SG100D-05-NA 5 Port Gigabit Switch

Switch: NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Router/WiFi: Luma Home WiFi (gigabit ethernet - mesh wifi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) / 192.168.55.1/32 / DHCP

Downloaded the latest version of Apple TV Remote. Clean install -- never used before. Opened app and attempted to add an Apple TV to the remote app.

The app can "see" the Gen4 Apple TV that is connected to the network via ethernet. The app does NOT "see" the Gen3 AppleTV, also connected to the network via ethernet. I can tell which is which via the AppleTV Name, so I know it's the Gen4 that the Remote app is picking up.

Both ATV's operate normally, neither is restricted to a specific remote.

The Luma hub is nearest to the Gen 3; there is a Luma node (think repeater) near the Gen 4. The Luma hub connects to the Netgear switch, which connect devices either directly or thru Cisco switches. All ethernet is gigabit capable (router, switches). Luma hub meshes with nodes to provide 801.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi to non-wired devices.

That is the system.

So, why does the Apple TV Remote app "see" the Gen 4 ATV connected via ethernet, but not the Gen 3 ATV connected via ethernet? I tried the Remote app on 2 iPhones (7+ and 6s+) with same result.

How can I get the Apple TV Remote app to "see" the Gen 3 ATV (without resorting to using WiFi vs ethernet)?

Apple TV, Other OS, tvOS 7.x

Posted on Jun 10, 2017 9:20 AM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2017 11:32 AM in response to Rudegar

No ports are blocked. There is but one network allowing WiFi or ethernet depending upon connection. Same private IP address range = same network.

If this was an issue, would not both ATVs be missing and not just one? That is the conundrum here. I can only see one of the two. Both are connected to the ethernet portion of the network.

Jun 10, 2017 5:39 PM in response to cagrimes

Hi cagrimes. The Remote app uses the Apple Bonjour protocol, the same as AirPlay. It is a multicast protocol, so service announcements and queries only travel one or two hops. Your network is fairly complex, so it's hard to tell why it's failing. If you can connect the Apple TV logically closer to the router, it should work better. Alternatively, you may be able to configure your switches to ensure the multicast messages are propagated, but that's beyond my level. If you search the web, you'll find a lot of Cisco documents describing how to deal with Bonjour.

Jun 11, 2017 6:47 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana

Thanks. I probably should have mentioned, but the ATV that shows up on the app is connected to one of the Cisco switches, then to the Netgear (unmanaged) switch which the Luma hub/router connects to.

The ATV that does NOT show up in the app is connected directly to the Netgear switch. So, it is already logically closer and absent connecting directly to the hub which would make it the only appliance with network/internet access, I can't get it any closer to the router.

And that is part of the conundrum. The ATV with the most complicated path (device - Cisco switch - Netgear switch - Luma hub/router) shows up and the one that is logically closer (device - Netgear switch - Luma hub/router) does not show up.

Every ethernet connected device terminates at the Netgear switch which is in turn, connected to the Luma hub/router.

Apple TV Remote App does not recognize Gen 3 ATV (Ethernet vs WiFi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.