Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot download photos from icloud photo library

I get an error message telling me "Cannot Download Photo"... please try later. Later has been 24+ hours now. I cannot find instructions on what to do. Please help. Thanks!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jun 10, 2017 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2017 8:00 PM

I had this problem and so decided to try signing out and back in to my icloud account- ended up losing all of my photos. I assume this is because while my phone was 'optimizing storage' by deleting my pictures under the assumption they were being uploaded to the cloud, they were, in fact, not saved at all.

This also explains why they were unavailable but visible before the restart as my phone would have icons to represent the pictures, but been unable to pull the full resolution from where they should have been in cloud, as there was nothing there.

Maybe a lot of people aren't experiencing this, but it seems like a pretty glaring design flaw. Be careful, folks.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2017 8:00 PM in response to dasdot

I had this problem and so decided to try signing out and back in to my icloud account- ended up losing all of my photos. I assume this is because while my phone was 'optimizing storage' by deleting my pictures under the assumption they were being uploaded to the cloud, they were, in fact, not saved at all.

This also explains why they were unavailable but visible before the restart as my phone would have icons to represent the pictures, but been unable to pull the full resolution from where they should have been in cloud, as there was nothing there.

Maybe a lot of people aren't experiencing this, but it seems like a pretty glaring design flaw. Be careful, folks.

cannot download photos from icloud photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.