Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open exec files?

Many of my older files now appear as black rectangles with 'exec' on them. I have recently migrated to a new iMac and Sierra. The files will not open. How can I get access to them? Are they lost?

Help will be appreciated!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 27"

Posted on Jun 11, 2017 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 4:36 PM

From Apple software perspective, Pages '09, Numbers '09, Keynote '09 were the last applications that could open AppleWorks v6 documents, and then only if they were pure word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation. If they incorporate multiple AppleWorks tools, then the opening probability drops.

Pages v5.6.2 (El Capitan) and Pages v6.2 (Sierra) can open Pages '06, '08, and '09 documents, but not earlier Pages formats.

LibreOffice v5.4.1 (you want the “fresh” version) was just released, and it has had the capability to open ClarisWorks 5/AppleWorks 6 documents for some time including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database files as spreadsheets. Again, the degree of individual document complexity may alter your results. I have a bunch of AppleWorks documents here that present as:

User uploaded file

As already stated, if an application associated with a document is no longer installed, you may see this icon, and it is not indicative that the content is necessarily an executable entity.

In the Finder, navigate to one of these icons, click once on it, and then press option+command+I (cap i). Unhide the extension if that is checked, and if it is .cwk, then you are dealing with an AppleWorks document. If it is a .pages extension, then you have an out of date, unsupported Pages document format. If the latter, there may be a way to salvage some content.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2017 4:36 PM in response to Foretcalme

From Apple software perspective, Pages '09, Numbers '09, Keynote '09 were the last applications that could open AppleWorks v6 documents, and then only if they were pure word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation. If they incorporate multiple AppleWorks tools, then the opening probability drops.

Pages v5.6.2 (El Capitan) and Pages v6.2 (Sierra) can open Pages '06, '08, and '09 documents, but not earlier Pages formats.

LibreOffice v5.4.1 (you want the “fresh” version) was just released, and it has had the capability to open ClarisWorks 5/AppleWorks 6 documents for some time including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database files as spreadsheets. Again, the degree of individual document complexity may alter your results. I have a bunch of AppleWorks documents here that present as:

User uploaded file

As already stated, if an application associated with a document is no longer installed, you may see this icon, and it is not indicative that the content is necessarily an executable entity.

In the Finder, navigate to one of these icons, click once on it, and then press option+command+I (cap i). Unhide the extension if that is checked, and if it is .cwk, then you are dealing with an AppleWorks document. If it is a .pages extension, then you have an out of date, unsupported Pages document format. If the latter, there may be a way to salvage some content.

Aug 31, 2017 4:06 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have the same problem as E.Baum. And my files are created by Pages!!!! At one point, my Appleworks files became unreadable, and I had to open them with TextEdit and transfer them to Pages. To my utter astonishment and dismay, after a while the new version of Pages would not open the old Pages files!!! And now it is even worse: on icloud everything has become exec files, which I can't open at all. Many of these files are of immense value to me... I am shocked and disgusted by this lack of respect for users.

Aug 31, 2017 4:13 PM in response to Foretcalme

Try to add a .pages extension to the file.

At one point, my Appleworks files became unreadable, and I had to open them with TextEdit and transfer them to Pages. To my utter astonishment and dismay, after a while the new version of Pages would not open the old Pages files!!!

The original version of pages would open the AppleWorks docs, but not later versions.

I have yet to see a version of Pages that won't open older pages documents. The new Pages can even export into an old Pages file format.

How to open exec files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.