Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the antiglare on my MacBook Pro come off?

On seeing what is a dirty spot on my MacBook screen, I tried to clean it and now there is a big area where the anti glare has come off. Leaving blind spots on my screen.

Mine is a 2015 model, and the US site says that this sis covered under their warranty, but the SA site seems to negate this. Is there a way to fix this or does someone know a way to have Apple SA cover this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 6:24 AM

It sounds like you may have damaged the optical coating on your MacBook Pro's display by using an improper cleaner, cleaning cloth or cleaning method.

For the proper cleaning method, see > How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

To contact Apple and make a Service appointment, go to > Contact - Official Apple Support

FWIW, we are just end users here like yourself and have no idea if Apple will cover the damage or not.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 6:24 AM in response to shawnfromjhb

It sounds like you may have damaged the optical coating on your MacBook Pro's display by using an improper cleaner, cleaning cloth or cleaning method.

For the proper cleaning method, see > How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

To contact Apple and make a Service appointment, go to > Contact - Official Apple Support

FWIW, we are just end users here like yourself and have no idea if Apple will cover the damage or not.

Jun 12, 2017 1:25 PM in response to shawnfromjhb

In days of yore, there was a custom antiglare option when you purchased your Mac: a film that was quite robust. Alas those days are long gone and now we only get this fragile optical coating that can rub off after awhile. Now your best bet is have it assessed by a friendly Store Genius and if it is happening all over the screen might get lucky. But don't get your hopes up too much.

Why does the antiglare on my MacBook Pro come off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.