Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't start on Windows 10

iTunes won't start on my computer, been through pages of forums and Google results and followed as many methods as I can think of to solve this, but no joy.

When I open iTunes, I can see it open in Task Manager, along with a few other Apple processes, but the app itself doesn't open and nothing appears on the Taskbar.

I've tried reinstalling with the following method:

1. Uninstalled iTunes and all other Apple applications
  2. Removed all registry items
  3. Removed all residual files
  4. Restarted
  5. Installed iTunes
  6. Restarted

I have also tried:

• system restore
  • updating drivers
  • reconfiguring firewall
  • starting iTunes:
    • in safe mode
    • with anti-virus disabled
    • with firewall disabled
    • with internet disabled

Absolutely lost for ideas at this stage so thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

null-OTHER, Windows 10, Lenovo Z70-80

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 6:37 PM

Try the following in turn until iTunes opens normally:

• Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you.

tt2

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 6:37 PM in response to supersheep97

Try the following in turn until iTunes opens normally:

• Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you.

tt2

Sep 8, 2017 9:44 PM in response to turingtest2

I have done every possible (and documented) attempt to fix this issue, and nothing works!!

I have never seen such a horrible piece of software in my life! I don't care if Microsoft updates the operating system, Apple needs to have a far better development process that doesn't have these types of issues and essentially bricks my iDevices because everything is so dependent on this crappy application!

I've been in IT for many years and have dealt with every type of software imaginable. I'm simply stunned at what a horrible piece of software iTunes is! I love the iPhone and iPad, but iTunes is the WORST!! At this point I'm becoming convinced that Apple is doing this on purpose to get people to buy Mac's because users get frustrated and blame Microsoft. No other software has these types of issues! Apple needs to patch this crappy iTunes software to fix whatever changed in the OS update. You can't expect the OS manufacture to change their OS to accommodate a single application - would Apple do that with iOS? No way!

Why do I need this piece of crap to back up my iPad or iPhone in the first place? Why do I need it to add files to the devices? Why does an OS update completely break my ability to manage my iDevices? These types issues are making me start to consider Android devices, as they are far easier to manage!

At this point I'm giving up after countless hours of trying all of these "fixes". Nothing is working for me.

Sep 9, 2017 8:01 AM in response to turingtest2

I launch iTunes, get a 2 second blue spinning donut (Windows 10 with all the latest updates and patches), iTunes is listed as a running process at zero percent CPU usage, and absolutely nothing happens. You can leave it all night, and it never starts.

I have tried every single thing that I’ve read on the Internet related to this issue (and there are a bunch of ideas and complaints), including everything in the list above, and nothing changes!!

One thing I have noticed is that flash stops working the instant you launch iTunes. It works perfectly before you launch iTunes, and stops working the second you try and launch iTunes. It won’t work again until you reboot, even if you kill the running iTunes process that’s doing nothing.

No piece of software should cause this much grief!

I’ve been doing IT work for many years and have never come across anything like this, and apparently I’m not alone, as there are a ton of others in the same boat. Shame on Apple for having such a crappy piece of software, that causes no end of problems, for performing the relatively simple function of managing a device(s)!

Sep 12, 2017 2:58 PM in response to turingtest2

I have killed that process about a million times at this point, and tried running it as administrator about another million times. I've tried older versions, newer versions, everything!

I have tried everything I've seen in all the different forums, and nothing works!

I think Apple needs to read this article and take it to heart:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theodorecasey/2017/08/21/can-apple-do-us-a-favor-an d-kill-itunes/

I'm hoping a new iTunes will come out and magically fix the issue at this point, until then, I'm hooped...

Sep 13, 2017 7:45 AM in response to turingtest2

McAfee is my AV, but I turn off the AV and Firewall pieces each time I try and launch iTunes (each time as administrator). I've even uninstalled McAfee completely, tried with no luck, and then re-installed McAfee.

I have also tried a new profile...

My iPad and iPhone are essentially bricked at this point, as I move most of what I use on and off of my home computer into a couple of key apps that only support the movement of files through iTunes. You have to go into the app in iTunes and browse your computer to side load files into the app (dumbest method ever by the way). There is no option to get the files I want into the apps via any other method.

Without iTunes, I'm screwed...

As mentioned, I just ran the latest MS OS (2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)) and Office patches, as well as the iTunes 12.7 upgrade yesterday, and nothing has changed in the behavior.

Also as mentioned previously, one curious issue I noticed is that Flash stops working the instant that iTunes tries to launch. An easy test is going to Bing, search for a video that you can hover over for a preview, and it will preview normally. As soon as iTunes tries to launch (and doesn't), the previews won't work until you reboot your computer.

I can't believe what a PITA this is!!

Dec 4, 2017 1:01 AM in response to Mike.manson

I have exactly the same problem (iTunes will not start, so I cannot back up my iPad ot iPhone, and cannot exchange files between these and my PC running W10). When will Appke bring out a fix, or an entirely new version of iTunes?

The trouble - at first a reluctance to start, and now, with the latest updates a complete unwillingness - seems to have begun with the update that removed the facility to update and rearrange apps from within iTunes.

Sigurd Reinton

iTunes won't start on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.