Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine restore too slow?

My Macbook Pro 2012 has been acting slow lately, so I decided to replace the hard drive with an SSD. I was able to back up the HDD onto an USB 3 external hard drive using time machine (that ordeal already took a massive amount of time but at least it completed) and now I'm trying to restore from the external drive to the newly installed SSD. The problem is that The restore time remaining is 2,670 hours and still rising. The restore is 400gb and change, I don't really know what to do to speed it up. I plan on letting it restore overnight but with this time estimate, it doesn't seem like I'll make any headway. I avoided ccc and superduper because I didn't want to pay for the full versions but now it seems like I may not have a choice. The ext. hard drive is a WD My Passport Ultra and the SSD is a 850 Evo 500gb.

Any help would be very appreciated

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 13, 2017 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 1:42 PM

Although TM's time estimates can vary, it shouldn't take nearly that long. In broad terms restoring a backup to the new SSD should take about as long as it did to create the one and only backup I believe you described. If I had to guess it took about a day to back up the 400 GB you describe. Is that about right?

The symptoms you describe suggest a faulty SSD, and that particular model does not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. The only SSDs I use and can recommend are sold by OWC / MacSales, and the oldest of them have performed consistently well for about six years – well beyond their warranty period.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Aok8

Although TM's time estimates can vary, it shouldn't take nearly that long. In broad terms restoring a backup to the new SSD should take about as long as it did to create the one and only backup I believe you described. If I had to guess it took about a day to back up the 400 GB you describe. Is that about right?

The symptoms you describe suggest a faulty SSD, and that particular model does not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. The only SSDs I use and can recommend are sold by OWC / MacSales, and the oldest of them have performed consistently well for about six years – well beyond their warranty period.

Time Machine restore too slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.