Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 27" iMac cant connect with 27QHD Cintiq

So I just got one of the new 2017 27" 5K iMacs, the most robust one as I am a digital illustrator. Specs 4.2 i7, 32 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8MB.

I am trying to connect the 27" QHD Cintiq to this new computer. I have the Thunderbolt 2->3(USB-C adaptor as the Cintiq on has a mini display port. That part is working but the other cable coming out of the cintiq for the display is a power to USB3 cable that im plugging right into the imac. The imac knows the cintiq is there but the cintiq just goes strait into power saving mode.

I double checked all the connections on the back of the cintiq, its all good. The Wacom app sees the Cintiq, it appears in the MY DEVICES tab of the Wacom software however when you go to DISPLAY SETTINGS that’s when it gives me the error "No supported Wacom pen display connected. This software is not required by and does not work with all Wacom tablets." When I put the pen on the tablet it senses it and the calibration box pops up. In the monitor drop down box only the imac is listed and if I go ahead and say calibrate it opens the calibration software on the imac. Whats interesting is when I use the pen on the cintiq it is moving the cursor on the imac.

To be extra thorough I reconnected the cintiq to my old imac and it works perfectly.

I have tested all the usb ports on the back of the imac with different items and they all work. Im guessing there is a software/firmware issue on your side or the apple side.

There is something I noticed in the tablet calibration software/ When I hover above monitor where my only choice is an imac, a little dialogue box opens saying “Selects the monitor to calibrate that corresponds to your LCD Tablet. Only monitors with the same screen resolution as the LCD tablet will be listed” Does this mean the 5k iMac wont ever be seen by the cintiq because its only 2.5k?

I find it hard to believe and industry standard for all artists wont work with sn iMac, the computer most used by digital artists.

Any ideas or help would be great appreciated.

Thanks

Travis

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), iOS 10.3.2, Cintiq 27QHD

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 6:10 PM

Hey I know this question is a few months old, but in the event you haven't found an answer, I think I have one for you. I, too, have the new most robust iMac, and I have the Cintiq 22HD. I could not get it to connect for the life of me. First I tried the Cintiq's DVI connector stuck on an apple brand DVI to Thunderbolt port (worked great on my 2011 iMac) and THEN, put the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter on that. No dice. After doing some research online, I found that some folks had luck with a startech.com DVI to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Zero luck for me.

After talking to like 5 people at Apple (NONE of who have even ever heard of a Cintiq or Wacom believe it or not), and also Wacom's customer service (which is as hard to understand as everyone says it is), I did come away with one final hail mary shot to order before giving up, selling the Cintiq, and buying a plain tablet.

This baby made by Kanex:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GGNU0C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I was resigned to the fact that nothing was going to work, but this connected the monitor immediately and it functions perfectly.

For you, and everyone following this question, I hope it solves your problem like it did mine!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2017 6:10 PM in response to travis94122

Hey I know this question is a few months old, but in the event you haven't found an answer, I think I have one for you. I, too, have the new most robust iMac, and I have the Cintiq 22HD. I could not get it to connect for the life of me. First I tried the Cintiq's DVI connector stuck on an apple brand DVI to Thunderbolt port (worked great on my 2011 iMac) and THEN, put the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter on that. No dice. After doing some research online, I found that some folks had luck with a startech.com DVI to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Zero luck for me.

After talking to like 5 people at Apple (NONE of who have even ever heard of a Cintiq or Wacom believe it or not), and also Wacom's customer service (which is as hard to understand as everyone says it is), I did come away with one final hail mary shot to order before giving up, selling the Cintiq, and buying a plain tablet.

This baby made by Kanex:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GGNU0C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I was resigned to the fact that nothing was going to work, but this connected the monitor immediately and it functions perfectly.

For you, and everyone following this question, I hope it solves your problem like it did mine!

Oct 16, 2017 1:48 AM in response to wms44

Make sure you have the latest drivers.

http://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsupport/drivers/mac/professional/releasenotes/Mac_ 6.3.25.html

A Thunderbolt 3 adapter won't work for a Mini DisplayPort display, even though the plug fits.

https://support.apple.com/HT207266

"The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to these devices:

Apple LED Cinema Display

DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort displays

DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort adapters, such as Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters"

For Mini DisplayPort you need a USB-C adapter that specifically says it support yje 2017 iMac, such as:

https://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-silver.html

Oct 15, 2017 2:31 PM in response to travis94122

travis94122

Did you resolve this issue?

I have the new iMac 5k and am looking to upgrade my Cintiq 21UX to the new 27QHD. However I need to be sure they are compatible. This chat is the only resource I can find that mentions iMac 5k and Cintiq 27QHD.

I was looking at mini display to Thunerbolt 2, but you mentioned the issue was the USB 3 connection.

Thanks

Mark

Oct 16, 2017 7:05 AM in response to JWonder

So they do, apologies. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my iMac is late 2016, sorry. I still think of it as new 😁

Any advise on connecting from iMac Thunderbolt 2 to Cintiq 27QHD mini display?

It does seem that travis94122 (original post) was having a problem with the USB connection, rather than Thunderbolt 2 to minidisplay port. I'm guessing this would be for the pen controller.

Thanks

2017 27" iMac cant connect with 27QHD Cintiq

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.