Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch - measuring heart rate when not wearing?

Hi all,

I was looking through my Health app this morning and noticed that I had a rather large (148bpm) peak at around 6.45am - however I would have been in bed then, and the watch would have been on its charger.

In fact, if I take the watch off, lay it on the table and open the Heart Rate app, it is still measuring a pulse, which seems to vary wildly - is this normal behaviour?

I really don't think it is behaving correctly. I've tried restarting it, upgrading to the latest Watch OS etc, but still this erratic behaviour occurs.

The watch is a 1st Gen model, if that helps.

Any advice appreciated!

Gareth

Posted on Jun 15, 2017 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2017 4:18 AM

Hi

Apple Watch will always try to measure your heart rate when the Heart Rate app is launched, even if it is not on your wrist at the time.

However, it is not normal for your Apple Watch to record automatic, background heart rate measurements when it is not being worn.

Given the steps that you have already tried, if the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to arrange for your Apple Watch to checked:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2017 4:18 AM in response to garmcqui

Hi

Apple Watch will always try to measure your heart rate when the Heart Rate app is launched, even if it is not on your wrist at the time.

However, it is not normal for your Apple Watch to record automatic, background heart rate measurements when it is not being worn.

Given the steps that you have already tried, if the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to arrange for your Apple Watch to checked:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

Apple watch - measuring heart rate when not wearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.