Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ouo.press

My iPad Safari browser has picked up a bug: When I tap a link I'm redirected to a page called ouo.press (ouo.io in the address bar). This page asks me to complete a Re-captcha test "to prove that you're a human".

According to all the search results I've read so far ouo.press/.io is page hijacking malware that is skimming my searches and browsing history for the benefit of unknown people. Whatever it's doing, it's doing it without my permission.

I can only find ouo.press/.io removal advice for PC browsers, can anyone please advise me how to remove it from Safari?

I have tried resetting all Safari settings and deleting all history and web site data, but this has not worked.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jun 15, 2017 4:50 AM

7 replies

Jun 15, 2017 10:05 AM in response to Stephen_RW

Thank you Michel and Jimmy for taking the time to reply.

I doubt that page hijacking software would need to access the operating system (iOS).

Just because there are no known viruses or malware which affect Safari (I am assuming that by "iOS" you are referring to Safari also) does not mean that ouo is benign. It seems to me that Michel is closest to the truth - the pop-up is a scam being perpetrated by using (perhaps that should be: misusing) cookies, unwarranted data collection and/or advertising-supported software.

When I say advertising-supported software I only speculate: I'm trying to work out how ouo pops up so quickly after deleting Safari history (etc.).

I never claimed that someone is accessing my iPad from behind the scenes, only that my privacy is being invaded, and the quality of my browsing experience greatly reduced, by ouo.

I have to ask: How does stopping and restarting Safari help with this problem? It seems to me to a. not address my privacy issue and b. make my browsing experience even worse.

Jun 15, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Stephen_RW

If you quit Safari in iOS, just like any web browser, it should stop the redirects to this website.

You should not be getting constant redirects to a malicious website.

If you have to, try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

This does nothing to any apps or data on your iPad.

Good Luck!

FYI,

Jailbreaking an Apple iDevice is when an iDevices iOS security sanboxing is defeated to "open" the iDevice to additional modifications by the user.

The term "jailbreak" is meant, in this case, to allow the iPad to get free of Apple's security and control as some iDevice owners feel this is a form electronic/software "imprisonment"!

Apple considers "jailbreaking" illegal and voids all warranties and support from Apple if this act is performed.

There are apps designed to purposely jailbreak iDevices to allow operational functionalities to iDevices that Apple purposely cut off from iOS upgrades/updates for iDevices Apple deemed too underpowered to include or support such features.

Jailbreaking an iDevice can allow these features to operate, but at the expense of circumventing the security of an iDevice.

ouo.press

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.